Need help choosing a cab. Please and thank you

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by versicolor, Oct 29, 2017.

1. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    Ok I have a Ampeg pf-350 and a squire 70s jazz bass. My budget is $400. I have to order it from zzounds for the payment plan. Can't do used. No shops near me have these cabs in stock so trying them out is not an option. I like a loud, growly, punchy, yet deep tone via geddy lee/chris squire. Will occasionally have to be enough to keep up effortlessly with a loud drummer and guitarist. The rig will sit in my small studio and never be transported so weight is not a factor. I might be able to get a 2nd cab in the extremely far future but probably not. This one cab will be it for the foreseeable future. These are the cabs I'm considering:

Ampeg pf115lf, pf210he, pf115he.
    Hartke 410xl
    Fender rumble v3 4x10, v3 1x15
    TC electronic 2x12
    Eden ex410sc4 extended range

Any opinions, suggestions, thoughts? I'll be ordering very soon and could use advice on which of these cabs will be a great match for the pf-350 and will get me closest to the sound I'm hoping to achieve. Also would be great if anyone has heard or played this head with any of these cabs. Thanks a lot people!

2. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

As a rule of thumb two identical cabinets work better than mixed. I would suggest you look for a cabinet that does what you want and then buy two of them if one is not enough.

lomo, Coolhandjjl, Haroldo and 3 others like this.
  3. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    Barrackville WV
    I think the rumble 4x10 is a lot of bang for the buck.

dukeorock and versicolor like this.
  4. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    I was thinking the same thing. Haven't seen anything but extremely glowing reviews. I wonder how it would match up with the pf-350.

5. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    I'm hoping that whichever one cab I end up with is the "it" cab because that's all I can get.

6. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Your amp is max at 4 ohms.

7. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Personally I would keep looking

Never cheap out on your speaker cab

8. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    None of those 8 cabs are worthy? Not even one will get me close to what I'm looking for? Thats hard to believe.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  9. Skeptismo

Skeptismo

Sep 5, 2011
    Washington
    I had a pf 350 for about 4 years, and ran it with an acoustic b210 neo cab. I received lots of compliments on the tone of that setup, but it couldn't carry a 5 piece band without help from the PA. When I added another 210, it sounded fantastic. If you go with two 210's, you'll have a nice modular setup that would be easy to move if you ever wanted to, will vertically stack very nicely, and will let you use your full potential at 4ohms. Otherwise, I'd go for a 4ohm 410 cab.
    Best of luck!

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  10. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    Thanks for the advice.

Skeptismo likes this.
  11. I love fender rumbles

12. Baltimore Bass

Baltimore Bass

Jul 14, 2016
    Baltimore
    Get an Ampeg 4x10, it'll sound great and you'll never have to worry about it. If you need more oomph in the future, add a 1x15 under it.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
    EatS1stBassist and bobyoung53 like this.
  13. murphy

murphy Supporting Member

May 5, 2004
    Canada
    Perhaps that sounded harsh
    I owned a Hartke 410XL...two of them....would get the job done....preferred my Trace Elliot

moved to Eden D-410 XLT which I fell in love with

Had a much older Fender 410 that didn't really float my boat...never tried the newer ones

My friend sold TC electronics...Good reviews....I just prefer front porting

Rip Van Dan and versicolor like this.
  14. ninepoundjammer

ninepoundjammer Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I had a pf-350 at one point and I dug it a lot for the Ampeg thing. Of those listed, I'd probably go with one of the PF cabs, but I don't think any of them would be the "it" cab for me long term.

Helix likes this.
  15. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

TC 212 out of those. Taller is better. More bottom than any of the Ampegs. Better dispersion than a 410. Louder than any of those single driver cabs.

HolmeBass and EatS1stBassist like this.
  16. azwipe

azwipe

Jul 9, 2013
    Washington, DC
    Assuming you can't check these out at a GC (which you should), I have to agree with the TCE RS212 recommendation. The rumble 410 sounds great and may be slightly louder, but the 212 will be a much easier schlep and plenty of volume.

17. ninepoundjammer

ninepoundjammer Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    I like the TC 212 but question how well it’d match up with a PF head. My recollection is the TC heads are pretty attenuated in the high end but the cabs balanced that out. I wonder if you can get just the right ampeg clank out of that pairing... enough in the right freq’s but not too much elsewhere...

Maybe I’m crazy.

18. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    What if i was able to throw the pf410hlf in the mix? I might be able to get it for $500 on zzounds and could possibly manage that. If that cab would be heads above the rest of them anyways.

EatS1stBassist likes this.
  19. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    The setup I'm replacing is the TC electronic bg250 BTW. It died on me which is why I'm even in the market for a new rig. I did like that combo a lot. I had contemplated another TC combo but when I was out looking at gear I came across the Ampeg 350. I ended up leaving with it. It just sounded so much sweeter than anything else there. But I was running through a little Ampeg 100 watt 2x10 cab. The sound was great but obviously that cab can't keep up. Which is why I'm here now.

20. versicolor

versicolor

Jan 18, 2013
    Now if I'm going to up the budget by $100 that would put 2 of the hartke 210xl up for consideration as well. Which would then allow me to utilize all of the 350 watts of the pf-350. Would that be a better route as suggested by Skeptismo?