Need Help Choosing A Dog

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by StudioStuntz, Mar 30, 2018.

1. StudioStuntz

StudioStuntz

Jul 19, 2015
    I have no knowledge of dogs whatsoever, but I do know I want to get one.

I do know I want a medium-large only, preferably short-haired dog (puppy).

I’m guessing all dogs shed, even the short-haired breeds, so the shorter the hair, the better.

Playful, friendly and mellow, but can easily go into the guard-dog mode, which probably leaves out Labs/Retrievers as they might only lick the undesirables to death!?

I was thinking Pit Bull (about as small as I’d want to go), but only as a last resort, due to it’s rep.

German Shepards are susceptible to hip displacement, are smart and easily trainable, and would most likely be my first choice, if it wasn’t for that darned long hair.

I was also contemplating Dobermans, but heard they tend to be more high strung.

Any thoughts on Rotts would be appreciated as well.

In general, is one sex more more protective over the other one, and does it depend on the owners gender as well?

Is one gender more easily manageable after the mellowing S or N procedures?

I have heard that male dogs tend to wander.

Back when/back in LA, one could often be driving and see ‘puppies for sale (or free)' signs outside of people’s homes. I’ve never seen either sign in Oregon though.

Not at all familiar or comfortable with Craigslist, but would that be the only way to go?

I don’t want to spend too much, since I won’t be breeding it.

I’m guessing if I paid for one, then immediately brought it to the vet for an assessment and was told it would be needing medical treatment or was terminally ill, it’s ‘let the buyer beware’?

Any and all help would be appreciated.

2. Hmmm... I work as a petsitter and I've met lots of dogs. I do a meet and greet with every one so that they will know who I am (the lady that gives treats) before I ever enter their home. The ONLY dog that ever tried to eat me was a yellow lab. That dog was as friendly as the day is long when I did the meet and greet but was in full-on territorial mode when I tried to enter his home a few days later. I ended up having to have a more extended meet and greet with him where I offered turkey and then took him for a little walk, and now we're buds. I should mention that it shocked his owners to learn that he could actually be that protective. They had no idea.

I have another lab client who is also very protective of his home, though I learned my lesson with labs and did extra work with him so I wouldn't have a problem. So I am a firm believer that a lab will be everything you are looking for.

3. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    If you need protection, I suggest getting an alarm system. So you expect a dog to put its life on the line for you?

You're asking for a lot but don't want to spend too much. Mmmm...

How about training costs? Dogs need many, many hours of training. Do you have the time? Guard dogs need even more training?

Big dogs need lots of land. How big is your lot? Where will the dog sleep? Will you take it for walks?

What will this big dog do when you're at work? What will the puppy do when you're at work?

How about grooming? Will you do it?

Just curious, what do you need protection from? Why now? Why a dog?

Here's a good selection tool: FREE Dog Breed Selector, Best Dog Breed For Me?

I would look for shelters and rescue organizations for potential pets.

I grew up with dogs and my last two lived 13 and 15 years. Can you make that commitment?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  4. beaglesandbass

beaglesandbass Think first, then post? Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Let me stop you right there.

You need to research what it means and what it entails. You’re going to be this animal’s master and caretaker. You’re going to need to commit 10-15 years of your life to this animal is every way you can think of. Emotionally, physically and financially.

Do you want a guard dog (something that will physically attack an intruder) or a watch dog (one that will make a LOT of noise if someone is trying to break in. Keep it mind that if your dog bites someone, you may be held liable for damages, and the dog may be put down.

If I were you I’d check out something from the hound family. Either a blood or coon, maybe a basset. All relatively short hair and will act as a great watch dog. Hounds can get very loud.

Craigslist is not the way to go. I would search for some shelters in your area.

bass12, StudioStuntz, dwm74 and 5 others like this.
  5. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Inactive

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    If you want a dog, seriously want a dog and all the responsibility it entails, give a rescue dog a good home.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2018
  6. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I like mutts.

Stumbo, PillO, dwm74 and 4 others like this.
  7. eJake

eJake

May 22, 2011
    New Orleans
    I love pitbulls and think they have a terrible reputation mostly because they have bad owners. A pit is one of the most friendly and loving dogs if they get enough exercise and have an owner who understands what a dog needs to have a balanced even life. So I agree with Bob Clayton. If you want a dog, understand the responsibility of your role as owner before you get one.

catcauphonic and buldog5151bass like this.
  8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Get to the local animal shelter and start looking. Don't worry, a dog will pick YOU. Also, remember, a young puppy will be more destructive, and take longer to house-break. There are also rescue organizations that rescue specific breeds (where I got my last 3 bulldogs). Pure breeds also tend to have more health problems because of inbreeding - take a look at the pedigree of your average show dog - it looks like the family tree of European royalty.

9. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    As said above, research what you are about to do. Then visit your local shelter and have a friend for life.

10. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Amen on the exercise. I had one - I would take her for 45 minute bike rides (took one session to get her used to running along side on a leash). Best thing you can do - take it for a good long walk as soon as you get home from work. You will never be greeted as happily every day.

eJake likes this.
  11. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    Fixed it for ya!! :laugh::roflmao::thumbsup:

catcauphonic likes this.
  12. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
  13. Bassbeater

Bassbeater Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Borrow a dog from a friend, try it out first.
    When you get a rescue dog you need to really test it's personality well. Does it pay attention to you after you stop touching it? Will it let you rub it's belly without showing fear? does it have an attention span? And in my opinion the most important with a shelter dog is "How does it play?"
    An abused potentially dangerous dog often won't show any dangerous traits until you play a little bit rambunctiously with it. This type of dog can get easily confused during play and turn aggressive. Look for this trait and avoid it.

14. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Where do you live? Urban? rural? Do you have a yard or a park nearby?

If you’re in an urban area for the love of baby Jesus do not choose a barky dog. And if you do, don’t leave it outside for hours!

StudioStuntz likes this.
  15. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    One thing you need to do (After you know the dog is well behaved). Find a dog park near you. Most are well maintained, and the other owners are nice. Dogs are pack animals, and love running around with the other dogs. Just remember to clean up after the dog.

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Do some serious reading on dogs before you get one. Most dog owners are poor pet owners, at best. Do not become another one of those fools getting pulled around the neighbourhood by their dog (who is obviously in charge.)

Also, do not pick the dog that runs up to you. It will be high energy and require more effort to train. Much like you don't want a dog that avoids you. Leave those dogs to people who are prepared to handle them. Always, always, always, pick from the middle of the pack. They will be the most even-tempered animals and the easiest to work with.

StudioStuntz, smeet and LBS-bass like this.
  17. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa
    These are the way to go. Do NOT buy a dog from a breeder. There are so many wonderful dogs in rescue shelters that need a home. They're already fixed and chipped typically. And others have said, do your research. Make sure you understand certain breeds and what they entail.

We got Odie from a rescue shelter six years ago, and he's been a wonderful dog. He's a chihuahua / Jack Russell terrier mix. Smart, affectionate, and playful.
    FG9yuis.jpg

18. Pug the Pig

Pug the Pig Inactive

Mar 21, 2018
    London
    As regards 'protection'..a dog is a friend, not a weapon!
    If you feel you need protection there are many other more effective ways to achieve this;)

19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I’m seeing a lot of objections to using a dog for protection. I don’t have and have never had a dog, but isnt that something many of them have been bred for? Isn’t it the basis of the relationship developed between humans and dogs over tens of thousands of years? They’re cute and cuddly but they can serve that function too, no?

MonetBass and Datsgor like this.
  20. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Yes, but it also can open you up for major liability if something happens. This isn't the 18th century - if your dog seriously injures someone, even if they weren't there for the most pleasant reasons, you can expect a lawsuit.

However, any dog will likely keep people safer. I remember when our son was younger, and took our dogs for a walk alone for the first time. My wife was worried about people bothering him. I told her - he's got a 50 pound pit bull and a 65 pound bull dog with him at the end of a leash - I don't think people are going to harass him much (never mind the dogs wouldn't do anything except lick the person to death unless they attacked him)...