1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help choosing a good practice amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Blane420, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Blane420

Blane420

Sep 28, 2009
    Hey there,

I'm looking to purchase a practice amp as my old Fender 15B has died on me and I dont feel like fixing the 12+ year old amp. This amp I used was a 15 watt and volume was never a problem considering i use it to play in a room by myself or to jam with a buddy on his acoustic guitar.

With that in mind I dont intend on spending more than say 220$ on an amp, and i see alot of amps in that range but I know nothing about amps. I've played bass for 5 years now and use an ibanez 500GR bass. Looking for some feedback on the brand and model you'd recommend.

One im curious about is the line 6 lowdown 15, is it worth the money.. is the brand orange any good. what brand and model would you recommend to me. thanks for any help! :)

2. Blane420

Blane420

Sep 28, 2009
    bump. looking for some suggestions. anyone out there would a good practice amp they recommend?

3. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    What part of the world do you live in?

4. Blane420

Blane420

Sep 28, 2009
    I live in Alberta, Canada

5. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Some popular recommendations on TB for home use practice amps are Peavey Minx, Peavey Max, Acoustic B20.

6. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
  7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    In your situation, I would look for the closest and cheapest used amp I could find. It's just a practice amp. I wouldn't make the choice too complicated. I'll bet you could find something a LOT better for even lass money. Good luck! And welcome to the forum!

8. Blane420

Blane420

Sep 28, 2009
    that acoustic b20 is a sweet deal on a 20 watter at 150$ new.. im definitely going to look for this one to try out. thanks

9. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Fender B-DEC

10. Blane420

Blane420

Sep 28, 2009
    the peavy max 112 is 200$ at 40watts. will a 40watter peavy have alot on the acoustic 20 watter? im not sure how these brands keep up to the wattage they say they are

11. NortyFiner

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Acoustic is very good about playing to their advertised watts (at least on the combos; the B600H head is a different animal). The Peavey will have a different sound from the Acoustic, and I don't know about how Peavey does their watts. You should be able to find both amps at your local Guitar Center to compare.

12. Blane420

Blane420

Sep 28, 2009
    right on, ill have to try em out. have you played both those amps before Norty?

13. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I bought my son a Peavey Max to use in his bedroom. I was very impressed with what you get for the money. I was well-built (like most Peavey products), had very decent tone, and got plenty loud for "house use". And this was only the $99 8" model!

14. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Are you near any of these L & M stores?

If so, why not check out a few different rigs to get a feel for what is available?

15. timmbass

timmbass

Oct 4, 2006
    Atlanta, GA
    I love my Roland Cube Bass 30

16. jebmd

jebmd Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
  17. NortyFiner

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    I loiter in my local GC trying all the amps. :p Here are the two you're asking about...

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-MAX-112-Bass-Combo?sku=481446

http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Acoustic-B20-1X12-Bass-Combo-Amplifier?sku=481622

Most of their practical features (headphone jack, practice input, 12" speaker, etc.) are similar. The Acoustic is a bit smaller and less expensive, the Peavey is bigger and has more fancy listed features, many of which you won't really notice in practical use. I like the controls of the Acoustic better. The Acoustic has a more basic "classic bass" sound to my ears, while the Peavey sounds more modern. I prefer the Acoustic, but your mileage may vary. If you like the Peavey better, then by all means go for it, but certainly don't buy before you try.

18. Blane420

Blane420

Sep 28, 2009
    I have a line 6 Bass Pod XT pedal which gives me all the features id ever need. I appreciate all the feedback everyone..

as for this fender B-DEC, how is the ton and quality asside from all the play along features.. because those features dont really interest me.. just looking for good sound, tone, and volume out of a decent practice amp :).

thanks guys

19. Turock

Turock

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    If you want good tone, get an Ampeg BA112, or something with at least a 12" speaker (generally speaking).
    If you want something that sounds pretty good, lots of fun, and something you can really practice and learn with, get a B-DEC.