Need help choosing a p pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by PeaveyPlayer, May 12, 2018.

1. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    I play a lot of reggae,top 40, rock and jazz

I like a vintage type time but I also don't want to be burried in A mix

I was looking at
    Fralins
    Lollar
    gzr emg
    Nordstrand NP4V alnico 3 or NP4A
    Or antiquities

2. Haven't tried any of these but have read good things about all of them. SD antiquities, Fralins and Lollar will probably give you a more open vintage tone. The Geezer and Nordstrand have a modern twist and will probably be better for Rock stuff.
    For your kind of music I would probably choose something with an open vintage tone. The Lollar gets good reviews at a very decent price point.

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  3. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
  4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'm all about the geezer.

PeaveyPlayer likes this.
  5. PeaveyPlayer

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Does it have the crisp top end like active Emg pickups

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Oh no. Nothing has that crisp top end of EMG actives. The Geezer's top end is decently bright like a good vintage Precision pickup and I don't think you'll have any problem hearing it, but not like EMG actives.

7. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Aguilar AG 4P-60

Yahboy likes this.
  8. I'm not an pickup expert nor do I fully understand the physics behind it. But I do know that the resistance of a PU (DCR) increases with more windings. And that generally leads to more output and a bass and mid boost while reducing the high end. That's why I recommended a vintage output pickup since they have more high end and a more open sound to them. It's the same with guitar humbuckers. High output humbuckers will sound fat and chunky but not as open and detailed as vintage ones.

9. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    I have the GZR and the NP5 (which is similar to the NP4A) in two basses now. The GZR has a more present mid bump, and the treble is nicely subdued. I’d say the NP5 can get a little more top end grind and maybe has more character. The GZR probably has the sound that better sits in the mix but still stays present due to the mids. Both are fantastic choices though.

10. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

I am a big fan of Seymour Duncan Antiquity II's.

Zoobiedood likes this.
  11. JN8642

JN8642 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2015
    The SPB-4's sound really nice to me, so do the Lollar overwounds. Both seem to be based on a vintage sound but with slightly reduced highs, mid bump, and a hotter signal to give it a more modern sound. Not sure which one is hotter though

12. ctmullins

ctmullins Dominated Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    The Wilde P46 is amazing. Lots of output and clarity, but still sounds like a P.

13. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Has anyone ordered one recently? I tried to communicate an order but she didn’t respond to my second email so I wasn’t willing to take the risk of getting my money tied up.