Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help Choosing Between 2 Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lowtone_Freak, Oct 26, 2002.

1. Lowtone_Freak

Lowtone_Freak

Oct 26, 2002
    Hello Everybody. I am going to start bass lessons soon, and want a little advice about which bass to choose between Fender Jazz, and Precision. If I want a real deep, pounding bass sound is the Precision better? also, which one is the best amplifier to start? Anticipated thanks for all the help.

2. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Play both and pick the one that feels better to play and has a better tone according to you.

Peace
    Nick

3. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    so do you want to be the next James Jamerson (precision) or the next Marcus Miller (jazz)???
    ;)

4. If you want the deep pounding tone that makes your chest rattle, get the P bass.

As for the amp, what is your budget? Are you going to be playing with drums and/ or guitars right away? Or will you be playing quietly in your room for awhile getting to know your bass, and getting better at playing?

If you are going to be playing with other musicians (or drummers :D) you'll want a bigger amp. If you'll be sitting alone just practicing, all you really need is a small practice amp, maybe 45 watts. Check out the amps forum, and do a search and you'll find tons of threads for recommended beginning amps.

5. Lowtone_Freak

Lowtone_Freak

Oct 26, 2002
    Thanks you guys for all the advice. I will go a check the amplifier's forum to check about which one is better to start. For now I will take lessons, and play alone at home. Later, search for a band will follow. I would love to know more about amps, effects, etc. Once again, thank you.

6. Then Talkbass is most definitely the place for you to be.:D

7. You can probably EQ your Amp ( which ever one you may get ) to get the "pounding bass sound" you like from either of these basses. The biggest difference in tone between the Jazz and Precision is "slap tone". The Jazz has a much better slap tone (imo) than the precision. If you feel that you might like to learn this technique some day than I'd start with the Jazz bass from the git go. The other difference is neck width. The Jazz is 1 1/2 at the nut ( the end where you tune it ) and the Precision is 1 5/8" at the nut. I prefer the wider neck but you may not but you may not. Try them both to see how they feel and consider what you may want to do with the bass down the road a bit.:D

8. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think you need to find a place that has a Jazz and a P bass, and play the crap out of both of 'em... Pick the one that trips your trigger the most! me, I like both of 'em, so I have to have both around... I have had about 3 different p basses and about 6 different jazz basses, with another on order. Both are good choices, and both are fun basses to play!

P@

9. rickreyn

rickreyn

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Yes. I just A-Bed MIA Jazz and Precision basses at the Mars going out of business sale to make sure.

10. Lowtone_Freak

Lowtone_Freak

Oct 26, 2002
    Hello again, guys. I really want to thank everyone for replying with all the suggestions. Really appreciate it!

11. go for the p-bass, nice deep pounding sound, now you no how steve harris(iron maiden) gets his sound!

12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    You could buy a bass with a P+J pickup configuration for more versatility in case you occasionally want other sounds than what the P pickup will give you.

13. Thats good advice Anders.

I recently converted one of my Essex Jazz basses into a PJ. It totally nails the P bass sound when it's solo'ed, and with the bridge solo'ed, I totally get the Geedy Lee growl. I love it. The range of tones you can get from a PJ is unbelieveable. This is my first PJ, and I was skeptical at first about how it would souns. I'm glad I did it though, I have a new favorite bass.

14. Lowtone_Freak

Lowtone_Freak

Oct 26, 2002
    Very interesting stuff, indeed. That kind of configuration sounds excellent. I should give it try. Thanks guys!

15. Why waste your time coverting a Essex?, when you could get a Fender P-Special or the Reggie Hamilton Jazz bass by Fender. These two basses are the best of both worlds..

Fetch!

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Peace
    Nick