Need help choosing my first bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Artetmusic, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    Hi everyone,

I want to start playing the bass after playing several instruments including piano and guitar.
    The bass will be mostly used in my home studio.

I started getting advices and looking for information and I hesitate between 2 models :

- Fender Mustang offset PJ
    - Fender Jazz Bass (mex)

I want to play different kind of music (funk, pop, folk, rock, classical, etc. - but no metal or hard rock) and I am looking for a confortable neck.
    I am used to playing short scale instruments (Fender duo sonic HS, Taylor GS MINI).

Which one would you recommend me for a first bass please ?
    Other ideas ?

Thank you in advance for your help :)

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Both are good choices. If you can't play them first than pick the one that looks better. You'll get used to the long scale jazz quickly so it shouldn't be a concern.

garp likes this.
  3. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    Thank you for your reply.

I may be able to try the jazz bass tomorrow (fingers crossed) but couldn't find any mustang pj in my area.
    My first choice was a short scale but I wanted to make sure I make the best choice :)

I can get a brand new fender special edition white opal jazz bass for 510 euros and a mustang pj rw in white for 560 euros.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  4. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    What Gorn said.

My only other suggestion would be to consider purchasing a pre-owned instrument as a first bass, but depending on where you're located, the used bass selection can sometimes be limited.

5. ScottTunes

ScottTunes Gear-A-Holic Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2011
    So Cal
    Since you play piano, your fingers already "stretch" to play certain notes (octaves, for example), which lends itself to playing a full scale bass. So, I see nothing wrong with beginning with a Jazz bass. Particularly for recording. Although the Mustang is a great bass (I used to collect them!), the Jazz bass is more versatile, and will record better - IMO/IME.

My first "pro" bass was a '72 Jazz... MAN was that heavy!! I'd had a Hagstrom II before that (don't know what happened to that bass!). But was really a guitarist (I drew the short straw in the touring band, and bought the Jazz bass, and an Ampeg SVT).

6. Artetmusic

Artetmusic

Sep 22, 2017
    I love in a small village in France and the only used basses available near my area are expensive American models

I am not afraid about stretching my fingers but more about the weight and neck of the bass.
    For exemple, I find standard folk guitars very uncomfortable but love the travel sizes.

7. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    Early in your bass life, you will likely have jam sessions with folks in places where the power is...not so good. A J will hum unless you turn both pickups full on. A P is more forgiving.

Then again, I just despise hum.