1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help choosing my next bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jason Harris, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    I've can't decide which bass I want to get, my 3 choices are
    1. Musicman bongo 5 HSp
    2. Lakland 55-34 Deluxe
    3. Sadowsky NYC Deluxe 24
    I already own a late 60's jazz bass, Johnny Christ signiture bass and a Musicman S.U.B 5
    My tone is very similar to Jason Newsted and Rex Brown, very high and mid heavy, not much bass.
    Which would help me keep that tone/improve upon, price isn't an issue

2. Of the three, Sadowsky would be my choice. If the extra mid bump is desired Sadowsky Will Lee (NYC or metro) be a good option too. You may want to check your preference on string spacing also.

RickyT likes this.
  3. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    Are you trying to ask which of those is the best bass for metal?

RickyT and mngnt like this.
  4. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Don't waste your time asking that silly question on the internet, get the Sadowsky NYC 24 now!

RickyT likes this.
  5. Midak

Midak

Sep 4, 2011
    Athens, Greece
    From the above options I would go for the Sadowsky, too.

Bolsyo likes this.
  6. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    Thank you for the replies, what would put the Sadowsky above the rest?

7. Bolsyo

Bolsyo

Oct 18, 2015
    Norway
    Agree, I'd go with the Sadowsky.

8. Actually, by Deluxe 24 are you referring to Modern with soap bars or Jazz with single coils? They are very different beasts.

9. RickyT

RickyT

May 29, 2015
    Dee Why
    Sadowsky drool

10. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    I was thinking the jazz Pup's, maybe 21 frets would make it easier

11. To me other than the great playability, Sadowsky's preamp has a certain 'punchy wetness' that I love. I have a metro UV70 jazz and a modern4-24. My jazz is equipped with Hum Cancelling pick up and Sadowsky blue SS rounds. It does both finger and slap styles well. The VTC (vintage tone control) knob provides plenty of useable tones and it really is a nice all round bass. It is definitely not sterile.

I believe NYC models come with chamfered body and pick up option (Sadowsky Singles or hum cancelling). I think you can even get 24 fret jazz if that's your thing. One thing to note on 24 fretted of course is that you don't get much space between the neck and front pick up. Your technique may or may not require some adjustments.

12. Jason Harris

Jason Harris

Jan 17, 2017
    Thanks! You guys have pretty much made me want to get one now, i was originally was going to get a bongo bu was holding off.
    This has just confirmed it, i'll be getting some form of Sadowsky be it custom or not.
    Thank you all for the help