1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help choosing new flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by AppalachianBen, Jan 1, 2018.

1. AppalachianBen

AppalachianBen

Jan 1, 2018
    Hello all, first-time poster.

I'm looking to put some new flatwound strings on my Ibanez SR500. Currently, I have .50-.105 Chromes on the bass right now and I really enjoy them. However, they just seem to have a bit of clankiness to my ears. They've been on at least 1.5 years, and their clankiness seems to be characteristic of chromes from what I've read so far about them.

The local music stores that are nearby have Chromes, EB Cobalt Slinkys, and Rotosound Jazz bass strings as my options. I know most people will say order online, but I much prefer giving my business to brick and mortar stores.

I was wondering what TB's opinions would be on choosing between these strings. I'm not 100% sold on changing the Chromes just yet, but possibly in the very near future. I really enjoy how smooth they are, and tension is not an issue. I play hymns in my church and also play with some bluegrass and country players as well if that helps.

Thank you

Pbassmanca likes this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Hello @AppalachianBen and welcome to TalkBass.
    Bingo-Zingo. All you can do is roll off your highs both on your bass and amp to throttle back the metallic klank.
    Given your music needs, I'd go with the Rotosound flats. Steve Harris signature set if you can get them. Your local stores should be happy to order any stringset you desire. You'll just have to pay a little more and have a longer wait.

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I got nutn on the strings.

But Welcome to TalkBass!!!!!!

4. AppalachianBen

AppalachianBen

Jan 1, 2018
    I've heard the Rotosounds are a little rougher than the chromes. Is the fingernoise bad? And do they mellow out nicely? Thanks for the input.

Linnin likes this.
  5. AppalachianBen

AppalachianBen

Jan 1, 2018
    Thanks!

6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Maybe. All flats are pretty smooth with very little difference in my life experience. They all continue to smooth out as you play them. I have no experience with the new EB Cobalt flats that have a reputation of being rough; grippy & grabby.
    No, of course not. They're flats. If you hear finger noise with flatwounds it's your fault, not the strings.
    Yes they do.

You are welcome.

7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Biggest issue with the Roto is that they are very stiff.

8. AppalachianBen

AppalachianBen

Jan 1, 2018
    Honestly, I'm not concerned about stiffness at all. I'd actually prefer some stiffness.

Linnin likes this.
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    A man after my own heart!

Pbassmanca likes this.
  10. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    They are that. Maybe the stiffest and highest tension of all the flats. Dubious Distinction, or High Honor?

11. AppalachianBen

AppalachianBen

Jan 1, 2018
    Definitely an honor. Though aren't La Bella's higher tension? I thought about ordering a set of those.

Pbassmanca and Linnin like this.
  12. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    LaBella are very high tension, but they won't tell. I'm not a fan, and much prefer GHS Precision Flats.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  13. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Rotosound are worse...

5thsand4ths likes this.
  14. Muckaluck

Muckaluck

Oct 11, 2005
    Whitby, Ontario
    I have a set of xl chromes and I get 0 clank. Perhaps a lighter gauge of chromes would fit the bill? I also wonder if this is related to technique, setup or amp/bass settings.

jallenbass likes this.
  15. packhowitzer

packhowitzer 155mm of pure destruction

Apr 20, 2011
    Atlanta
    I've got 50-105 chromes on an EB Stingray and they don't clank. They're about 6 or 7 years old now, but they didn't clank even when new. I play them finger-style or with a pick. I play a very broad spectrum of music. They thump- but they don't clank. just my .02

16. St_G

St_G

Jan 22, 2013
    Memphis, TN
    Chromes were probably the brightest of all the flats I tried on the winding path that eventually lead me to the Original 1954 (aka the "We got sued for using James Jamerson's name and picture without permission" set) from LaBella. Quite stiff. Sound perfect.

kodiakblair and Member8675309 like this.
  17. Member8675309

Member8675309 Banned

Aug 19, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    The Chromes you have installed currently are not wet noodles, especially at that higher gauge. I’m not a fan of Chromes, but I never found them to clank, but, due to their enhanced high end, the clank is more audible when it does occur.

The Rotos would be your best bet, locally. They are monel flats, they sound good and have high tension, and their darker nature—compared to Chromes—will help mask any clank. Also, and this is what I’d do, you could have some strings ordered for you through your local shop. Get yourself some 1954 LaBellas and your clank will be greatly lessened to eliminated. GHS would be a good option as well.

18. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Welcome aboard.

My choice of strings are La Bella low tension flats. Simply wonderful to me.

howlin and Holdsg like this.
  19. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca In the pocket n' thumpy. So woody, so greasy...

Your local music store might be able to order in some strings for you if they don't keep them in stock. I know my local store does for me. Which gauges are you looking for?

20. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Which flats have the least, or lesser tension ? Not a fan of stiff strings.

Pbassmanca likes this.