Need help choosing new rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by brandorando0129, May 2, 2018.

1. brandorando0129

brandorando0129

May 2, 2018
    Hey everyone! First time on talkbass so I thought I'd come to the community for some advice...

Currently jamming as a 3 piece:

Sort of loud drummer, he could be louder if he wanted to be

Guitarist plays a strat and a fender tube amp, can't remember what it is off the top of my head but it gets plenty loud. Also vocals as well

I'm using my p bass and an orange 50 crush bass amp. It's a nice little amp, but it's just that. A practice amp. I had used a peavey 115 combo for while but the tone just sounded garbage to me.

We play mainly some reggae/ rock with a rage vibe sort of thrown in. My presence in the band needs to be a big one. We won't be gigging for a while, but we will be at some point.

That said ,I'd like to buy a rig I'm going to love and not really need replacing until the time comes

I had a few things in mind:

Mesa d800 plus and subway 115
    Orange Ad200 and obc115
    Fender bassman 100t or super bassman and a 15
    Milkman 700 and a 15.

At some point I'll be adding another cab, but for now it will just be the 15. Tube would be nice, but solid state will do as well. I also have a thing for matching heads and cabs, can't help it! I have a good job, so I can afford more than the average noob. That being said, I'd like something to last a long time and is easy but versatile. I have played svt and 610 which was awesome! But I have a car and can't even haul something like that around, which is why it was left off of the list!!!

Give me your input, thanks

2. No, man. If you’re really serious about a bunch of strangers picking your next amp, then get serious...
    1. Make a poll with available choices.
    2. Leave poll open for a specified length of time only.
    3. At expiration, tabulate results, and buy the winning entrant.

3. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Welcome to TB!

I'm no stranger than anyone else. I hope.

Can't go wrong with Mesa for you needs, but if you can, get out to the music shops and try before you buy.

4. brandorando0129

brandorando0129

May 2, 2018
    Hey! Thats what I intended to do. Unfortunately, the music store closest to me is a peavey dealer so that's all they really had. I've been getting most of my gear needs through musicians friend. So it's kind of a blind taste test at this point

5. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Most of those amps will probably pop any 15 you hook to it bro. Get 2, if you want 15s. I've got a 610 ampeg, but I'm making a switch to 2 PVH2x12s, for versatility reasons. I'm also not playing metal at the moment, and am now playing reggae. So the round, fullness of those 12s is sounding really nice. But, all of those heads you mentioned are very good. But, one speaker is most likely not going to do it for you bro. Get 2.

PS
    The 610 fits perfect in my car by the way. I can also stuff all my equipment, and an 18" subwoofer. I drive a focus.

6. JeezyMcNuggles

JeezyMcNuggles Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2018
    Santa Maria, CA
    I suck, but nobody really notices
    Peavey makes good stuff, and they last forever. I mean like forever. Don't disregard it just cause of the name. If they have things you can actually play on, that's better than anything we can say. Like I said before, I'm leaving my ampeg at home for peaveys.

brandorando0129, Rickter and Giffro like this.
  7. brandorando0129

brandorando0129

May 2, 2018
    Thanks man! I had an old peavey combo, I think it just left a bad impression on me... I held a grudge to it lol and that ampeg rig I played was glorious!!! But I just wanted something little easier on the back. Hence the 15s and if I had 2 of them, I think I could cover just about anything I need too

Jewce likes this.
  8. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    I use a Fender Rumble 500Combo (2x10" Drivers) with an extension 115 cab (1x15" Driver) for most 3 and 4 piece band applications and this amp with the ext. cab really punches its way through. Lots of good choices from TB members like the Mesa gear too. As BadExample suggested go try a few different brands out at your local music shops and make up your own mind. Good advice. For an investment as important as this its worth traveling a bit and checking out the music stores that stock a variety of different amps and cabs if your local stores dont stock a large enough range.
    EDIT: The Fender Rumble 500Combo is Lightweight yet powerful. Amplifier Weight : 36.5 lbs. (16.6 kg)
    The Fender Rumble 115 Cab is Lightweight and also powerful. Cab Weight 39 lbs. (17.6 kg)
    Rumble500 Cab Sideon1.JPG

Last edited: May 3, 2018
  9. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    How about 15 iconic bass amps; 23 different speaker cabinets, and 40 studio effects? All in one powerful lightweight amp that is extremely affordable. Fender Rumble Stage 800. The future is now.

10. Jonathan C

Jonathan C Supporting Member

May 31, 2016
    Holbrook, NY
    V4B Reissue 45 lbs, and a SVT212 AV 65 lbs. Not a bad carry and you'll never have regrets!
    If you want a potable cab, check out Revsound on TB, I have a ridiculously light RS115 (no tweeter) that weighs 22lbs. You can get it with a tweeter and it will only add a couple pounds as well. I cannot imagine that any 15 sounds better. Dave @ Revsound is awesome to work with and can build a cab with many options.

rhopper, brandorando0129 and Stumbo like this.
  11. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    Fresno California
    Do yourself a favor...
    F9DFF553-3F70-42F9-B002-02C8DDDA2DAF.jpeg
    ... and you can thank me later.

12. tedious1

tedious1

Feb 14, 2014
    DUDE! Don't forget about the carrots! Every newbie forgets the damn carrots!

On topic:
    No man, do you really want a bunch of strangers picking your next amp? No! Have you played all the amps on your list? If not, do so if possible. If the answer isn't self evident, then come here give us the list, and what you liked and didn't like about each. Otherwise you'll get the fanboi's pushing their favorite, because it's their favorite, not because it works for you.

13. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Richlands, NC
    GK all day. Done.

14. Andrew Moss

Andrew Moss

Jan 9, 2018
    Mesa makes a great product. I used to run a Mesa m9 into a Aguilar DB410 and could blow the walls down...which I did till I blew a couple speakers hehe. I also played in a large and very loud band with that rig.

I still have both of those pieces of gear but I’ve since switched to a more lightweight setup.

If I had the cash right now I’d probably get the Mesa setup you mentioned... been spending a lot on the home studio and a custom build lately so I’m pretty broke.

Since you have the budget for something nice I’d even go as far as traveling to another city and trying out amps before you buy.

brandorando0129 likes this.
  15. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

If I were you, I would get more cab than a 115. I would go with a 410 or 412 at least. That way you most likely won't ever have to worry about not having enough volume. Just my opinion as I play in a 3 piece (instrumentally) with a loud drummer. Rage happens to be one of all our all time biggest inspirations.

With that said, I would check Mesa, Ampeg and GK. GK 1001 or 700rb will get you all kinds of volume with lovely tones. The Mesa you named will do really good as well. I named Ampeg just because it's popular but I'm not a huge fan. I do like a lot of their stuff though. As far as cabs, I would check out GK Neo cabs. Handle a TON of power, great tone, light and affordable. And just because you had a bad opinion about that Peavey amp you had, dont let it dissuade you from their cabs. Also tons of power and good tones.

In the end, try as much as you can, listen to as many pro demos as you can, make an educated guess/decision. There are so many variables to get all your opinion from here. While I love TB, I've tried some things people rave about on here and didnt like it at all. So it just goes to show you....

brandorando0129 and Rickter like this.
  16. dgrizzly

dgrizzly

Apr 28, 2014
    Mile High USA
    That Mesa rig will crush, but you might need 2x15's depending on volume requirements. I wouldn't want to haul a 610 either, but since they tilt back and roll, it may actually be easier if you don't have a lot of stairs to deal with on the regular. Finally, you might also consider a GK MB 800 for lots of clean power.

brandorando0129 likes this.
  17. Mesa d800 plus and subway 115

18. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    Welcome to TalkBass!

brandorando0129 and Giffro like this.
  19. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

I second that motion...

20. Welcome to TalkBass. I play in a loud rock band and gig 2-3 per month. I've got a Fender Rumble 500 into a GK Neo 2x12. I have a collapsible workman's (350lb capacity) bench that I sometimes put the amp and speaker on to get it closer to my ear depending on the venue. If I need more, the Rumble has no problem with me adding my second GK Neo 2x12 or my Avatar 2x10. That's for the bigger stages where I might be farther away from the rig. I looked at Mesa, Markbass, and the GK heads and went for the Fender Rumble instead. It sounded decent and the price point made it a viable choice.

brandorando0129, Rickter and Giffro like this.