Need Help Choosing please!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mark Wilson, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Okay guys, I need to decide. I NEED A new bass. There are alot of things with both my choices that are positive. I'll focus on those.

Okay Bass A: A Groove Tools 7-string: $1300(or so)(CDN)

- Bass has the best neck and playability i've ever played. Ever.
    - Can switch from a ballsy low end, to an angelic high end, with the turn of a knob. Both are amazing sounds.
    - Can EASILY reach the Low B-string. Comfortably.
    - Surprizingly light. Lighter than my Squier P-bass. Weird :eyebrow:
    - Stays in tune very well.

- I've been playing 2 1/2 years, and I see this as a deal, cause I thought They went out of production.
    - I don't believe i'm ready for a 7 yet, but I am willing to challenge myself.
    - I don't even know where to start with 2 Truss rods. haha

Bass B: The Fender Geddy Lee Jazz- 900.00 (CDN)

- This bass has the best tone i've ever heard. Flat out.
    - It feels right in my hands, the thin neck.
    - Looks absoutley beautiful.
    - Has big fret spacing, bigger than my squier.
    - Stays in tune very well as well.
    - I look damn good with that bass in my hands :D

- I just can't figure out what the hell each knob does!
    - The action was KILLER high when I played it, and the neck has a bow. Just need set-up, no worries there.
    - It's a big heavy towards the headstock end, bass tilts, but hardly.

I'm a HUGE Rush fan, and my brother and my friend are wanting to start a Rush band. Drummer just got a double-kick, Bro needs a new amp and I need a new bass. End of July we'll be set.

Guys PLEASE help me decide on this one. Right now, i just played the geddy, and i'm leaning to that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  2. clanner

clanner Token Black Guy.

Apr 27, 2005
    ummmmm, marietta GA
    do you plan on dressing up as geddy lee? just go with what feels the best, if you put it in your hands and it feels right, then go for it. :bassist:
  3. My vote is for the 7 string! I just have a thing for the extended range.

But...bottom line is what YOU think, and how it feels to you.
    The gut always knows.
  4. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    I've never played a Conklin, but if you love Rush, there's nothing better than a Geddy! They sound amazing, especially in a mix. They're too heavy for me though :(
  5. it's only fitting that you go with the geddy lee given your TB user name
  6. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    LOL speaking of your name, I assumed that you already had a Geddy Lee. But you dont...

SO GET ONE! :hyper:
  7. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I see the 7 as being a bit more of a gamble but in the long run it could pay off real big! Especially if you move into really "experimental" stuff and want to "expand" and what not. The GT7 MAY also be a good investment if the used price goes up due to the discontinuation...They were solid well made instruments.

I dont really know what to go with, personally I think I'd give the 7 a try....and worse comes to worse sell it.
  8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Based on what you have said, I would recomend you go with the four banger. As far as what each knob does, go to the fender website, I'm sure you will find some info on the layout.
  9. Ostinato

Ostinato Guest

Feb 7, 2005
    Toronto ON
    I've never heard anyone come up with a great bass line on a seven string. Get the four and get your chops together, because I think the seven at this point in your development will just hold you back.
  10. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I would say Geddy. As a matter of fact, I recently purchased a 6 string and i'm saving up for a Geddy right now.

I'm pretty sure you won't enjoy the 7... but hey i've been wrong once, and that was win I thought I was wrong but I was really right.
  11. Phone Geddy and ask him what he thinks.
  12. SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Haha, I'd love to talk to Geddy on the phone! He'd point you in the right direction ;)
  13. metallicaorion

May 31, 2005
    Oswego IL

i was in your position a few weeks ago i was gona buy a fender but then i tryed a schecter and fell in love check one of those out but go with what feels good!