Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help Choosing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ThumperCI6, Apr 22, 2001.

1. I need help deciding on a bass here. I cannot choose between a Fender Deluxe Jazz 4 or 5 string. I play in a Punk/Hardcore or Punkore as we call it band. I could go either way on the # of of strings but is the bass completely different in tone, and stability with 5 strings. My current bass is a Fender P-Bass.

2. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    It seems that most people who have 5 string Fenders,or who have tried them,feel that the B string is floppy and vague.I'm not a 5 stringer but I have to say that I hate loose,flabby strings.Maybe your p-bass can be de-tuned one step without the E string getting floppy.Many people also swear by the Hipshot de-tuner which de-tunes the E string at the flick of a lever.Maybe a heavier guage string set might help you out too.

3. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    i have a deluxe 5 string jazz and i love it. it might not be what your looking for though. i dont find the B to be floppy but thats imo. what kind of punk do you play? examples of tone or bands would be helpful.

4. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Are you talking about MIA or MIM versions.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I would go with the five string, if you think you have a use for the low B. Gives you a lot more possibilities without changing positions.

I have been rather unimpressed with the low B strings on the Fenders, though, so you might want to play it first and see what you think of it. All of them that I have played have been pretty floppy.

And I am refrerring to the MIM models.

Ryan

6. gmstudio99

gmstudio99

Mar 11, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    Actually, it seems that most people who DON'T have 5 string Fenders seem to think that the Fender's B is floppy and vague. The Fender 5ers that I know all seem quite happy with theirs. I had one for a while with a B that was quite excellent.

Word of warning, though, more importantly that the B string: make sure you're happy with the Fender Preamp on the actives. There is no bypass switch to get you back to passive, and Fender preamps have a love-em or hate-em sound to them. I love Fender basses, but I can't stand their preamps. To my ears, I can't hear a Fender preamp providing a satisfactory punk sound.

If you do go with a deluxe (w/ preamp), make sure you try it in your rehearsal hall with your band a few times. You might find (as I did) that the active electronic tone get swallowed right up.

-GM

7. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    I'm into mainly punk and ska. But I listen to a lot of hardcore, just about every kind you can think of... Minor Threat - Snapcase... 7 Seconds - VOD...
    Gorilla Biscuits - Bane

And what I see most of the time at hardcore shows are actually 4 string Fender p's

A lot of punk bands also use p's.

8. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania

Well, I have one thing to say about a punk band with a preamped fender getting a satisfactory sound... INDK (It's a band)

And as far as the preamp goes? If you don't like it change it. There's tons of companies that make preamps...

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Funny how that works:D

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

11. in regard to the floppy string..i own a MIM fiver and as soon as i changed the strings, perfect