1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help choosing.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Crunka, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Crunka

Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
  2. Crunka

Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
    BUMP

3. Crunka

Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
    Bassist
    Usually
    Make
    Threads

4. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
  5. Crunka

Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
  6. I would disagree. I bought a new amp in January an I researched for 5 months on all kind of web sites and found their to be more negative press with the GK Backline series than with Ashdown. From what I remember the Backlines seem to over heat very easily. I bought the Ashdown Mag C115 300 I have not had any problems.
    It seems to me reliability is a big concern for you. If that is the case look at the Yorkville XM 200, the warrenty is 2 years even if you break it. Yorkville gets alot of favarible press.
    Also Peavey make products that will last forever. I have a Peavey that I bought new in 1988 and it works fine and doesn't distort. The tone is not that great however but it is indestuctible.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Huh? :confused: Says who? I have known of a few bad ones but no more than any other amp brand.

8. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
  9. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I would pick the Eden. I have played through one at a small music store here in So. Cal (Hi-Line Music) that sells them and they aren't bad. Much better than the G&K Backline stuff.

Then you can tell everybody you have an David Eden amp:smug:

Seriously though it's not bad. The 12" speaker works pretty well with that amp. It sounds deep and punchy compared to the Backline. I thought the Bacline w/ the 15" and no tweeter sounds like mud.

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Thats a good idea. Great price too. I'm not crazy about the SWR sound but it's a good solid amp and has the ability to ad an extention speaker.

That would be a better choice for a few bucks more.

11. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Yeah I'm usually not crazy about the SWR sound either but that combo sounded really good. I think it used to cost like $700-800 dollars.

12. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Go with the Eden. I haven't heard anything in that price range that sounds better. Eden's have a distinct tone that sits well in the mix. IMO.

That being said, I am also a fan of Carvin amps. Not the most splendid tone inn the world, but high quality construction, great features, ample power and fantastic value. Check out the PB200-15:

http://www.carvin.com/products/group.php?CID=PBS

I find the Carvin tone to be generic but quite serviceable, kinda like Peavey, and they're rugged and well-priced.

13. marty moroney

marty moroney

Mar 21, 2006
    im in the same market man, i was playing one of those GK's the other day ant a guitar center, it was pretty nice, had much more punch than my combo.

14. Crunka

Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
    Hmm...so far I'm most interested on the200W Yorkville, sure I'd have to save up for 2 months, but I've heard REALLY good reviews. Plus the guarantee is great. Would it be able to cut through this? (it's what my guitarist have):

http://www.music123.com/Randall-RX120DHS-Half-Stack-i270286.music

BTW: Our drummer has electric drums if that helps.

15. Crunka

Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
    And that SWR, well PLUS shipping...it's alot

16. From what I have heard you want 4 times the wattage of your guitarist. So his amp is 120w, so you would want a 480w amp, I would say the yorkville would be fine for practice. It has a XLR line out that is pre or post EQ so you could use your amp as a monitor on stage and put your signal through the mix for live shows.
    I am sure some people know more than me though. If you don't get a response do a search because I have seen a few questions about Guitar amps vs bass amp before on this web site.

17. Crunka

Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
    Well, I need to gig with it, I can add a cab right? And by the way, the venues are really small since I live in a small town, the biggest one would be a 500+ person one and they provide the PA...you think 200w can handle it?

Our drummer uses electric if that's any help.

18. Crunka

Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
    Sorry for asking this many questions.

I guess my choises are either:

Yorkville XM200 Bass Master 115 Combo

or

SWR Workingman s 2x10C Bass Combo

I will be playing (mostly) in these two venues.

A coffee house with room for 50 people

and and old theatre for 300 people.

Any last thoughts

19. Crunka

Crunka

Mar 11, 2006
    Stockton, Ca
    One Last BUMP

20. Adding a cab will get you to 200w. As a stand alone amp you are probably looking at 120 w or around there for the Yorkville XM 200, this probably feels misleading to you, but I think all manufactures are like that. I have an Ashdown MAG 300w combo but as a stand alone I am probably around 180w.
    Bottom line is you have three options IMO. You can either save for a bigger rig, By second hand off e-bay or local classified, or you can by a new amp at around 200w and when playing a live venue you can go through the Mix. Currently this is what I do and it works fine for me.

Good Luck.