1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help chosing a combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by shawshank72, Apr 25, 2009.

1. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    :bassist:Im looking to spend up to 500$ for a combo amp that i can play at home but yet take it to small gigs. Im tired of hauling heavy cabs and heads.
    1. How many watts will do?
    2. What style of speaker is best to get good volume and punch. 15in/12in/2x10/2x8?
    3. Trusted name brands?
    Any one played an eden N28? cant find anything anywhere. Love the simpleness of it.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. In that range, as long as you're not trying to play at earsplitting volumes, a 100w combo would probably be enough, but that's about the lowest I would go...200w is better if you can afford it, but I've done some mighty loud gigs on a 100w combo.

2. Speaker size is all a personal taste matter that you'll have to decide for yourself. They're all commonly used in cabs and they all bring something special to the table that other ones don't. I would recommend staying away from 8's in a combo, though. You need a lot of them to put out any low end worth mentioning. 8" combos are fine for little coffeeshop gigs, but to put out any serious low end, you need either a 2-10, 1-12, or 1-15 combo. Single 8"s and single 10"s just don't get it...not at that price point, anyway.

3. In the $500 new range, GK, Hartke, Ampeg (sort of...they make great stuff when it works), Nemesis, Fender, Line 6, SWR, Peavey, a few others who escape me at the moment. You can get a good quality amp these days for $500, especially if you buy used. Some of these folks on here have put together pro level amp rigs for $500.

I haven't played an N28, but I do like Nemesis stuff.