Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help comping jazz rifts

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by SR480Sol, May 24, 2001.

1. SR480Sol

SR480Sol

May 24, 2001
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Hello,
    I've been playing bass for about 3 years now and love it. Recently I have joined my school's jazz band and think its the smartest thing i ever did. My ownly problem is when ever i want to comp a walking bass line i need to first write it out on paper. I was wondering if any one had any suggestions that could possibly help me to be able to just pick it up and play it without having to figure the pitches out. Thanks for your help, Mike

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, this is one of those things that can become a lifetime's study and that you can't answer in a short post here - you really need a book like Ed Friedland's on Walking Bass lines.

But basically the first step is to get to know all the notes of all the chords that are likely to come up. So basically you need know the arpeggios of chords anywhere on the neck.

Really it just takes a lot of practice, but there are lots of study aids - like the Aebersold series has books with CD playalongs which just concentrate on practicing all keys - I use the ones called "Major & Minor" and "Gettin it Together" for practice like this - the CD are great to play along to. You could also try the one on II/V7/I progressions which are the most common in Jazz.

3. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    Buy Ron Carter's building jazz basslines.
    Great book. Teaches basically by learning real basslines.
    The Ed Friedland books are not that great in my opinion. They are not practical at all.