1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help: Compressor? Limiter? Bass Tapping Issue!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by nicktunz, Oct 15, 2009.

1. nicktunz

nicktunz Commercial User

Apr 23, 2008
    Miami, FL
    Mesa Boogie, Arc Effects, Small Sound Big Sound, Earthquaker Devices
    Hi Guys,

I am new to the forum.
    This is my first post (I think).
    I had been reading this page for a while, but kinda forgot about it. I have a question and know that someone on this board can help me:

I play bass in a metal band. So, I play pretty loud. I play a six string. Lately, I have been playing parts that require me to do a bit of tapping, particularly on the higher G and C strings. Unfortunately, the tap parts on these higher strings get drowned out by the low notes.

I bought an MXR Dyna-Comp, hoping to remedy the situation, but it didn't really help, and it made my low end reall really squashy.

Should I be trying to solve my problems with a compressor?
    Should I be trying a limiter?
    I have been playing bass for 15 years and never really got into compressors, so I feel like I am lost. I need help.

And go...

Thanks,
    -nick

2. One thing that would help would be to raise the pickups a little bit on that side. This should make the higher strings a bit louder.

Compression could also help by making the louder notes a bit more quite and evening out the volume. When it comes to any type of compression you should just use this site religiously http://www.ovnilab.com/ it is hosted by Bongomania a TB member. I used it to figure out what i was looking for.

3. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    It isn't cheap, but the FEA Labs Dual Band compressor will do what you are wanting. You can set the crossover point, set up the compression as you like for the high and low bands, and get smooth, even volume from top to bottom. I do this with my 5, and in conjunction with more bass/mids from the on-board pre, it works like a champ. The eq adds more girth, and the comp keeps the levels, well, level, all without squashing the tone. It is truly an outstanding unit.

4. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    I would definitely try raising your pickups on the treble side of things. When I was playing in a ridiculously loud band and doing a lot of G-string fills, it worked perfectly. I was planning on going through a whole regiment of compression training but a screwdriver was all I needed.

Then again if this is for tapping, you may need a compressor anyhow. +9123785 to going through bongomania's site for such things.

5. nicktunz

nicktunz Commercial User

Apr 23, 2008
    Miami, FL
    Some good ideas so far.
    I dont' know why I haven't thought of raising the pickups on the C side. That seems pretty obvious.

That FEA pedal is ridiculous, but yes, $345 is kinda more than I am thinking about spending right now. I was thinking more like $150.

I will have to check out that site with all that compression info. I'm just compression retarded. I can't make sense of it. I want it to be really simple, like 1 or 2 knobs. That's another reason I kinda don't want that FEA pedal. It's got like 10-15 knobs. Looking at it makes me do this:eyebrow:

6. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I had a Rane DC24 and the dual band thing is nice but...

I also like my BBE Optostomp. Fairly transparent,cheap, and works pretty well. I go back and forth on compression live, so I just hang on to this for when I'm in the "use it" mood. Having $100 tied up in a compressor pedal isn't going to kill me.

7. nicktunz

nicktunz Commercial User

Apr 23, 2008
    Miami, FL
    I know my local store has a Maxon Compressor. It's optical. I was thinking about giving that a shot. Anyone have any experience with it? I think the model is CP-1 or something like that. It's a little black unit.

8. NortyFiner

NortyFiner Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    Maxon CP-101?

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/cp101.shtml

Not sure if that's what you're looking for...

Another thought: if your low end is overpowering your high end that much, you might need to consider tweaking your EQ in some manner to cut some of the low end, boost the high end, or both.

9. stefean

stefean

May 18, 2007
    I use the Markbass Compressore. It's $250, but it's tube driven and really thickens the lows and mids, and keeps them clean. It darkens the highs slightly, but I come through very clear.

10. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    if you can find one, the trace dual compressor might be a good choice
    mind you isn't the digitech comp a dual band pedal?

11. jmarnett

jmarnett

Oct 14, 2009
    Try messing with a graphic eq, fatten up the sound of the G and C and back of the low end a wee bit

12. NortyFiner

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    If you mean the Digitech Bass Squeeze, yes, it is dual band, but it has issues...

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/digitech.shtml

The EBS MultiComp is dual band, runs for $200ish new, and has excellent reviews. He could probably find a used one in his price range fairly easily...

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/multicomp.shtml

As for me personally, I use the Demeter Compulator...

http://www.ovnilab.com/reviews/compulator.shtml

13. nicktunz

nicktunz Commercial User

Apr 23, 2008
    Miami, FL
    Thanks Guys,

It appears I have a bit of homework to do.
    I knew I could count on this board.

-nick

14. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    If you're going to EQ, make sure you're cutting frequencies and boosting overall volume. Your notes will all have the space they deserve and desire.

15. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    While I do think a dual-band comp would be a decent approach, and a used EBS or an Ashdown comp pedal would be budget-friendly choices, I also think you could get good results using an EQ pedal. Set it to cut the lows and low-mids a bit, and to boost the overall level, and then just step on it whenever you come to a tapping section. That way your tone isn't altered at all other times, and when you need the tapping boost you just engage the EQ. EQ pedals are cheap and plentiful and easy to re-sell, so try that first before shelling out money on a compressor.

16. NortyFiner

Mar 23, 2008
    Portsmouth VA USA
    EQ'ing thought: if the OP's bass is active (most 6's are) then he could EQ with the preamp on his bass to boost the highs and cut the lows/mids for tapping...