1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help deciding between two 5-strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by GhostWalking13, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Ibanez SR305EB

34 vote(s)
    87.2%
  2. Washburn CB-15

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  1. GhostWalking13

GhostWalking13

Nov 20, 2017
    Really need help with this, posted this question a few times already but I never got an answer.

2. Gatlin

Gatlin

Sep 22, 2016
    Ellisville, MS
    My vote would be the Ibanez. I've never played a Washburn though so my opinion may not really matter. I had an SR300 (4 string) for a while that I really liked. Had a great sound. Only reason I got rid of it was the neck felt too small to me. I like a p bass size neck. For a 5 string I bet the neck on the Ibanez would be just right to me.

3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Perhaps, there is a reason why?

4. GhostWalking13

GhostWalking13

Nov 20, 2017
    Well if there is a reason, why not explain it, no need to be rude.

JaseyT, TrustRod and mobdirt like this.
  5. How much are they asking for each bass?

There's a really nice Ibanez SR505 Burly top at a pawnshop right now for about $150 out the door.

If I had to choose between your 2 options, I go with the Ibanez.

6. GhostWalking13

GhostWalking13

Nov 20, 2017
    Washburn is around $300 used and I have an option to try it out. Ibanez is around $420 new but I would have to order it online so I wouldn't be able to try it out.

7. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    His signature, i dont think he's being rude he likes Rickenbackers :)
    Having not played either of these basses i dont know if i can give a valuable opinion..

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I wasn't being rude, just why there may be a reason why your previous few attempts have gone unanswered. I was hoping someone would have a real answer to your dilemma. :rollno:

9. SR375E for me:

SR375E_AWB_1P_01_CU_Body_Top.

twinjet and GBassNorth like this.
  10. GhostWalking13

GhostWalking13

Nov 20, 2017
    Hey no problem man, I was also wondering why I was getting no answers. But now I got a lot of them and I'll most likely get the Ibanez. Thanks everyone for help

Spidey2112 and Texsunburst59 like this.
  11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    If I had to guess, reason why I think you didn't get an answer initially is that few have probably tried that particular model of Washburn bass. A number of people can give you feedback on the Ibanez SR305E- nice bass for the money, slim neck, not a bad choice but to be honest, I haven't tried a Washburn CB-15 at my local store, nor have I even seen one. Perhaps worth a try though if you have that option. I've owned a few other Washburn models (but have long since sold them), a Force ABT B10 and a Bantam XB200 - decent basses but nothing all too special even for the low price I paid for them. Based on my limited experience with Washburn and what I know of Ibanez basses ( I've owned quite a number of ibanez basses), I would probably be inclined to go with Ibanez.

12. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I voted Ibanez, and the SR 305E's are great basses for the money, but if you want a fantastic 5 string for not much more money go for an older used Ibanez SR 1005. Damned near the best 5 string I have ever played

IMG_4659-vi.

13. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Ibanez makes fantastic basses that are dreamy to play

Spidey2112 likes this.
  14. TheLowDown33

TheLowDown33 Supporting Member

Jul 4, 2009
    NJ
    Had a low end Ibanez for my first bass and it was solidly built. If you replace the pickups you'll probably have a decent bass. This of course isn't taking into account QC. I could have very well just gotten a good one. Ibanez basses are solid from top to bottom, I would spring for that if the Washburn's build quality is dodgy.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  15. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Ibanez...

16. Ibanez is very hard to beat in terms of bang-for-buck, ergonomics, and quality consistency.

17. I would vote Ibanez also. Has GSR200(I think that is what it was), it was a package deal with a little amp, etc. Solid player. If you don't need an active bass I would suggest looking at the new Yamaha BB 435. I have an older BB1000MA and it's fantastic. I'm currently looking at the Ibanez SRFF805. It's currently discounted $350 and with a trade brings it into the $400 range out of pocket! It's a 5er fanned fret model.

18. AdamK

AdamK

Jan 24, 2015
    Virginia
    Check out Lakland

19. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I’m not sure which disqualifies Lakland more. Being double the price of what the OP is considering, or the oval bridge.

20. AdamK

AdamK

Jan 24, 2015
    Virginia
    For a little over a hundred dollars more you can get a 5 string Lakland. And it plays like a $1000+ bass. The oval bridge is fine. What's not cool imo are those Music Man basses with the oval pickguard. Just pointing out another option that's not totally outrageous in price and is much higher quality.