1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help deciding on keeping my bass or choosing a new one

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TheFatBassMan, Nov 18, 2018.

1. TheFatBassMan

TheFatBassMan

Nov 18, 2018
    I need help on a decision:

I have a Yamaha TRBX305, which is overall a great bass except the pickups are awful, setting up on gigs is a pain,either too much highs or too much buzzing lows, no matter what combination i use on my knobs, performance EQ switch, Fender Rumble 100 amp or on the mixer. I don't want to get rid of it but with a sound like that i have 2 choices:

NEW BASS: buying a new one within a $500 budget, right now my only options are either a Squier VM Jazz Bass 5 or some $200 stingray 5 string copy called Soundsation
    or
    NEW PICKUPS: EMG 40DC and 40CS with completely new pots,wiring. And I get to keep a good,easy to play bass with the specs i prefer (5 string, 34" scale, 24 frets)

What is the best thing I can do here?

2. saabfender

saabfender Banned

Jan 10, 2018
    Indianapolis
    Keep your eyes open for something more interesting.

Those new guitar options aren't that inspiring. To me anyway. See if you can't get the electronics in the Yahama more to your satisfaction. You like playing it and bonding with one of the two off-the-rack alternatives is a crapshoot from where you are now.

RyanOh likes this.
  3. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Do you have options for a used bass in your area?

I got a used Schecter Riot 5 with EMG's for $300 over the summer, that was a great deal but $500 should get you a decent sounding and playing bass.

I'm with saabfender on the choices, see what else is out there.

4. TheFatBassMan

TheFatBassMan

Nov 18, 2018
    Not really, there's little to no choice in new or used basses here. I'd buy a Spector Legend 5 Classic (wanted this since I started playing) but there are no distributors in my country or even a way to order it from elsewhere. That's why my only options are a Squier VM Jazz 5 and a Stringray copy. Is the Squier a class up from the Yamaha (I don't think so, but I never played it) or is investing in new pickups the smarter thing to do?

5. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Eh it's not much better, maybe give the Yamaha another chance and ask questions about the EQ or the bass. I'm not familiar with the Yamaha TRBX305, but I think others like them.

Aqualung60 likes this.
  6. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    Can you clarify "too much buzzing lows"? Is that the bass or resonance on your amp? What is your amp EQd like? ..... I had a 305 and never had that experience -- I actually liked the bass (like a poor man's L2000). I never used the Performance EQ presets -- just kept it in the middle (Flat) and tweaked gingerly with the knobs...I preferred it over the more expensive 505...I sold it in one of my periodic "herd thinnings" as I didnt need five 5 string basses but, in retrospect, I shouldve kept it

Aqualung60 and RyanOh like this.
  7. TheFatBassMan

TheFatBassMan

Nov 18, 2018
    My amp's EQ: Bass and Treble 12 o'clock Low Mid: 11 o'clock High Mid: 4 o'clock. Trust me it's not the amp. I play the Yamaha either on the Slap or Solo setting with the bass and treble knobs on the middle with no boost. When I plug in from my line out to the mixer it cuts through with too much highs, even if i touch the string it sounds like I'm slapping the hell out of it. When I turn down the treble on my amp and cut the highs on the bass in half, the lows are very strong and sounds muddy and distorted (god forbid i boost the lows on the bass).
    I tried every combination and sadly I can't have a decent balanced tone so I guess the pickups are to blame. If i swap them with EMG's I'll lose my performance EQ which is a great asset. I read somewhere that if I swap out the existing 50K pots for 500K's I'd get rid of the problem, but the EMG's come with 25K's and I don't see how the pots are relevant here.

8. Honestly? Keep the bass - upgrade your amp. A rumble 100 is decidedly on the low end of a giggable amp. That size amp is the awkward middle sibling of “practice amps” and “gigging” amps.... The 305 is certainly a capable bass. I think you are worrying far too much about potentiometers and other minor details when your entire chain is not yet up to snuff. Plenty on here like the larger Rumbles. I’m not a fan - I’m currently gigging GK MB series stacked combos - but everyone’s ears are different.

If you have to go with a new bass, buy the VM - but it’s not an upgrade from your Yamaha.

Just my fairly opinionated opinion....

wizard65, B-Lo, dalkowski and 6 others like this.
  9. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    Sell both amp and bass

Buy g&l and Ampeg

10. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    At 100 watts, you may be running out of headroom.

I’m also not a fan of Rumbles - but I think they got the name right...

If you’re looking for a vintage tone, spend your money on an Ampeg.

Your bass is fine.

SpazzTheBassist likes this.
  11. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Get a Pbass quietest electronics out there...

JZQuantum likes this.
  12. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Seems like the perfect case for new pickups.

Kickdrum and jackn1202 like this.
  13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Where exactly are you? Sharing that info would be helpful to the people making recommendations. Not everyone here on TB lives in the US. There might be a member more local to you or someone knowledgeable about what is available where you are who can help out. :)

ghostinthemach likes this.
  14. TheFatBassMan

TheFatBassMan

Nov 18, 2018
    Basing my decision on the majority of opinions and advice here and the fact that I wanna keep my Yamaha, I ordered the EMG 40DC and 40CS.
    Thank you all for your input you've been helpful :)
    As for my next bass, I know it's gonna be either a Spector Legend 5 Classic or a Dingwall NG2 Combustion 5. But that's far ahead in the future :)

15. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Agreed. I'll bet you could easily dial in a good sound if you had more power and more/bigger speakers.

Also, another problem with a small combo is that if it's on the floor and you're standing in front of it, you can't hear yourself: You'll only hear the (omnidirectional) bottom end, and it won't sound loud enough. Even if you could find a tone that sounds good to your ears, it probably sounds very different to the audience. If you're not doing so already, you need to get it on top of something and/or angled up at your ears to properly judge.

Dan_reeves and pappabass like this.
  16. Yamaha's are usually pretty good basses that produce a good sound. I play a fender p with EMGs. Also a LTD D4 with active eq. When I play the fender, the amp is set to odd (not close to center) settings for decent sound. When playing the LTD, the amp and guitar settings are close to center on tones except for lows are up are up a little. Both basses have normal strings. Different brand of strings may help the fender. Saying all of that, sound & tone varies from style of guitar but should adjust to a normal sound.

17. I put a 2x4 under the front of my amp or cab I play to angle the sound up a little and keep the amp from resonating in a bad way with the floor. If you notice if its boomy that could be the issue.

Lobster11 likes this.
  18. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    +1 and +1...this is where I was going next.....Bass requires lots of power for cleanliness, not for volume

Dan_reeves and tfer like this.
  19. why not just buy an eq pedal...seems a much cheaper and easier fix

MXR-M108S-Ten-Band-EQ-Pedal-678x381.

Mili and wizard65 like this.
  20. TheFatBassMan

TheFatBassMan

Nov 18, 2018
    I use my amp only for practice at home or rehearsals, and at gigs I use it as monitoring as I plug it in the mixer via line out. I'm quite happy with the amp, it's very light and portable, and it's enough in terms of volume, power and cleanliness in sound for the gigs I play which are in small clubs.
    As for EQ pedals, I'll try the BOSS GE-7 but anyway I ordered the pickups, so it wouldn't hurt to further edit my sound with an EQ to my satisfaction.