Need help deciding on major/career

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by southpaw723, Feb 27, 2017.

1. southpaw723

southpaw723

Oct 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    Ok, I recently turned 20 and I took this spring semester off from school after attending the university of Pittsburgh (Pitt) for 1.5 semesters. I'm a good student but I really have no clue on what I want to major in or "what I want to do." I definitely want to get a degree and I'm gonna go back in the fall. I have no interest in sitting behind a desk all day and I enjoy the outdoors. I also like working with numbers and stats. It's been very stressful hearing from everyone I know saying "what are you gonna do with your life?" just like that twisted sister music video. I need some advice fellow talkbassers.

2. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    Have you looked at surveying? That'd get you outside and use math.

LiquidMidnight and Ironbar like this.
  3. southpaw723

southpaw723

Oct 20, 2013
    Pittsburgh
    That's actually something I've looked into a bit, the job outlook isn't great though

4. TOOL460002

TOOL460002

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz
    What about civil engineering?

Munjibunga likes this.
  5. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Brain surgeon, rocket scientist, Starbucks barista, criminal lawyer?

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Inactive

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Forestry. You could work for the gumint or a logging company. Not sure how that plays up there but there are tons of them down here. You married to Pennsyltuckie?

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    A friend of mine is looking into geology.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The average person in college changes their major at least once. You are not in a unique position. Relax.

Suggestion. There likely is a career services office at your college, and I assume there are similar services - that's part of what you/your parents' money is supporting. Make an appointment with them (speak with your RA to find out what else is available at your school). Reach out to those at your school who can help out.

9. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I sat behind a desk for 16 years. I thought that's what I was destined for the rest of my working career. I thought that's what my college degree was good for. After getting laid off during the last economic downturn, I eventually went to work for a big box home improvement retailer and found out that I actually really like working in lumber & building materials. Looking back on it all, I wish I hadn't gone to college at all, and instead wish I had gone for a career in a skilled trade. I would have made more money, and been way happier in my life not being chained to a desk all day.

You don't need a college degree to be a huge success in life! Do you have any idea how much money skilled tradesmen make? This country is also in dire need of people in the skilled trades because the vast majority of them are approaching retirement age, and the drum beat from society over the last 20 years or so has been, "Go to college, go to college." There's not enough people to replace the ones that are retiring. Check out the Mike Rowe Works foundation. They offer scholarships for people going in to the skilled trades: Profoundly Disconnected

Goatrope and Robert B like this.
  10. LeftyD

LeftyD

Feb 22, 2017
    Las Vegas
    You could join the military. I always liked that I didn't have to worry about what I was doing with my life, because for those 3 years. I was in the military. Never regretted my military service.

PillO and Killed_by_Death like this.
  11. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

I have plenty of academic credentials, but that hasn't prevented the need for a complete reinvention every so often. Your college major isn't a sentence or even much of an indication of what you will end up doing. And, the chances that you will do the same thing for an entire career is about zero for most people.

Moral of this story is to major in something you like and that you will work hard and do well at. What follows is whatever will follow.

LiquidMidnight and blastoff99 like this.
  12. Mortician. You'll never be out of work.

btmpancake likes this.
  13. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Ya got one minute? Youtube clip from The Graduate. Career choice.

Templar and Killed_by_Death like this.
  14. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Sociology with a focus on statistics and analysis might be up your alley. I remember the job prospects were GREAT when I graduated in 2013. I hated numbers so I didn't focus on that, but I wish I had.

15. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Ditto on this one. The ASVAB will figure out what your skillset is & place you in a proper discipline/trade. Also, if the military isn't for you, you can leave at the end of your term & pursue a diploma with G.I. Bill money.

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Civil/Geotechnical will put you in the field about half the time, and doing calculations and writing reports the other half.

GregC likes this.
  17. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    Alternative questions to ask:
    What are you good at?
    What could you do all day every day and not get bored doing?
    Do you need something that you can "leave at the office" or "leave at the shop"--or do you mind if the lines between work and leisure get blurred somewhat?

18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Anecdotal, and not necessarily good advice in general.

19. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  20. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I paid a LOT of money to surveyors and soil scientists when I was doing my due diligence on a land acquisition. Site engineering was another one. I got a bachelors degree in Sociology, but most of my career has been skilled labor after apprenticing with masters in their field.

Ironbar likes this.