Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help deciding on new rig.....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FLEADOMBOUND, Feb 7, 2002.

1. FLEADOMBOUND

FLEADOMBOUND

Nov 16, 2001
    Whittier, Ca
    I am finally financially ready to get my new rig. I am going with a Stingray 5, but I need help putting together the rig to play with it. I love aggresive funk stlye bass, but I play a lot of rock as well (PearlJam, Zep, stuff like that). Money is not too much of an issue. I need a little help on watts, and exactly what "ohm" means. What would your ideal setup consist of. Thanks guys. When I get my new **** I'll be sure and post pics......

2. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I've heard <a href="http://www.londonpower.com/spectrum.htm">these (click)</a> are pretty good.

3. fachie3

fachie3

Nov 12, 2001
    Chicago IL.
    Here's my 2 cents,

I have been playing bass for 20 plus years and have dragged around speaker cabinets that would choke a horse - so this is my thoughts.

1). If you play funk and slap go with the Eden WT800 and their XLT4x10 cab.

2). For a great balls to the walls sound (rock sound like Zep and others) Mesa 400+ and their 2x15 cab.

3). If your like me and have spend your time with big rigs - go with a combo amp a 2x10 or 1x15 with the sans amp driver and let the PA push your sound.
    if you want you can always add another cabinet.

Option 1) Great sound can do all different types of music.
    Option 2) Even better Rock sound not much for funk - bring your back brace.

Option 3) No brace needed easy setup time and can get the big sound delivered from your PA and use your combo as a monitor on stage.

All three options work - for me I play the Eden WT800 into Mesa boggie cabinets 1x15 2x10 - easy to move, fits in a car and sounds fine - but I still like the 400+ sound better.
    I am leaning toward option 3 for smaller gigs like the church band I am in.

If you do the combo thing check out Ashdown's ABM500 combo with the 1x15

Hope that helps.