Need help deciding... Satin or Gloss?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rusty, Nov 2, 2004.

Satin or Gloss? Chrome or Gold?

Poll closed Nov 23, 2004.
  1. Satin

85 vote(s)
  2. Gloss

63 vote(s)
  3. Chrome

84 vote(s)
  4. Gold

51 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Hey guys!

The koa top for my bass has finally arrived after 3 weeks of delay... :p What do you think is a better finish for this top? Gloss would bring out the figure very nicely, but satin seems to compliment the "graininess" of the top very nicely too... hmm...

Oh, what colour hardware should I go with? Chrome or Gold?

2. Bass7755

Bass7755 Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2000
    Roanoke, Va.
    I have to go with the gloss finish. I received my Nordstrand
    SC5 about 6 weeks ago. It has a Camphor Burl top and
    a Flame Maple back. I have to say it is the most beautiful
    bass I have ever seen in person OR in a pic on the internet.
    The gloss finish is just awesome! :hyper: Carey's gloss
    finish is freakin beautiful. Okay.... I vote GLOSS.

Not sure how Penn,Ohio and Mich. will vote....they are still
    undecided. :D

Edit:...Great top!! And Virginia like's black hardware. :)
  3. BlasphemyArise

Jul 15, 2004
    either finish would look great but i'd prolly go with chrome hardware imo :) The wood looks GREAT! Can'twait to see it finished.
  4. Gloss and gold on Koa is a perfect match!
  5. Personally,I would go satin with gold hardware. Nevertheless , it should look awesome with gloss finish, but chrome hardware would definately ruin that top IMO.
  6. slombovia

Jul 15, 2003
    I am a determined follower of Jesus Christ and am a Mormon.
    Gold on Koa! ick. Black all the way with Koa. Gold on Maple good. Black on Koa - awesome!

I vote gloss, I had gold hardware and oil finish on my Carvin Koa and regretted both.

7. I voted that way too.
  8. Both gloss and satin would undoubtably look great with that top, but I voted for gloss as it's more durable. Of my own two favourite basses one has a gloss finish over flame walnut, the other satin over grafted walnut, and they both appeal to me very much. The satin finish has more of a 'natural' feel and look, gloss is what it says it is, your bass will look glossy and rich. Chrome is my other choice, I don't like gold hardware at all. Natural polished brass for hardware is another story...
  9. Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Carey's Satin finish is one of the best....but for your 1st Nordie, go with the gloss. Next Nordie, go for the satin :smug:
  10. Gold is pimpish and cheesey. Black hardware will bring out that beautiful da kine, fine Koa grain, bruda.

The gloss finish will make that flamed Koa relly look nice in the light. I love satin, but your Koa top is basically a veneer so get gloss to bring it out.

GLOSS and BLACK harware.

DO NOT GET GOLD! :scowl:
  11. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I'd go for the gloss finish! And I would go for black hardware myself, if that was an option. On lighter woods I like chrome, darker woods black. (I don't like gold hardware.)
  12. Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    I would definitely go with black hardware. The gloss or satin is a tougher call, but having seen a few Nordstrands in person I would go with satin. I think the gloss is so, well, glossy it strikes me as too fancy on some of them I have seen.
  13. Gloss. Satin tends to hide figure, especially in darker boards, and we certainly wouldn't want to do that :D And gold is the way to go on that one. I usually don't like gold hardware, but if there was ever a top that was screaming for it, its that one.
  14. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I've said it before, I'm saying it now, and I'm sure I'll say it again next time I'm asked. I do not understand why the make harware in any color other than black. I just don't seem the point (to me of course, your opinion may vary).

To mirror that I say, SATIN!!!! and by satin I mean plan old hand rubbed OIL!!!! Nothing treats a great poice of wood like that better than still being able to feel it!!!!
  15. pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    Hmmm, gloss or satin, that's a real tough call but I think I would go gloss myself and would also go with Gold/Black Hipshot hardware. I know my color choice for the hardware isn't on your list but I really think you should give it a look anyway. Hipshot has the Gold/Black option. I was never a fan of gold hardware but this combo looks sweet and I also have a Warwick Streamer Stage II that comes std. with gold hardware. I got use to it and it's not an issue at all with me.

If you want to see what it looks like, follow the link below and look at my Roscoe LG 3005 with the Buckeye Burl top, there are many pictures that will show the hardware in that color. Now keep in mind that my bass has a lighter color than what you are going to use but I still think it will look great.
  16. rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    A "semi-gloss" finish....that is a gloss finish that has been buffed with 0000 steel wool or 1500 grit paper!! doesn't look too plastic and gives the natural look of the wood a chance to come through.

Definitely NOT gold hardware!! I'm just in the process of getting all my harware replated in black so my vote is for black too.
  17. Well, you said it yourself... it's because it's only your opinion. :)

Other people may want different color hardware, and no manufacturer would want to lose out on sales because they didn't sell chrome-plated hardware.

Of course, you are more than welcome to use black exclusively. ;)
  18. With this wood, I would go for a gloss finish with black hardware. IMO, when you have a beautiful figured wood like yours, the wood should be the hero and the finish and hardware should compliment it, instead of pulling your eye (and your attendtion) away from the wood.

Gloss will really bring out the texture in the flame. I think gold or chrome will be a distraction. Have you considered wooden knobs - like ebony?

Good luck on what ever you choose. I'm sure you will love it!