1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help deciding what to put in my custom cab, and also thoughts on Dr Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Alex, Apr 29, 2006.

1. I'm pretty set on ordering a Dr Bass cab, I just don't know which one. The sound I'm looking for is punchy, tight, and fat, but still with clarity. Basically like a punchier Aguilar GS112NT. I play mostly Jazz, Funk and Fusion stuff. It also has to be portable (<50 lbs hopefully) I will be playing a Tune TWB63 into it most likely through either a Genz Benz GBE head or an Ampeg B2R.

I was looking at the Rx112 and RX210 cabs, however I was also intrigued by the possibility of ordering a custom configuration. I was thinking a 1x12/1x10/1x6.5 tweeterless cab, but I think that might be a tad too big.

Any other suggestions on a configurations, thoughts on how the Rx112 or 210 would work for me, or other Dr Bass cab suggestions?

Thanks guys

~Alex

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Maybe try a 1x12 / 1x6.5. My main cab is 2x12 / 2x6 and the upper mids in it are great. While you wouldn't normally think of punch as that high, they can definately help you.

You might want to try a neo speaker if you want punch, too. Seems like the general, vague consensus is that neo speakers are a bit tighter in the bottom end than their standard counterparts. Tightness in the bottom means that the focus of the speaker is probably a bit higher.

3. Cool. Maybe I'll make the 12" a neo.

Do you know what the approximate weight savings is in 12" speakers from normal to neo?

4. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I think that the magnet on a decent full range 12 is 15-20 pounds. My neo's magnets are 4.5 pounds. So, you save 10 or 15 pounds. The difference is a lot greater in a multi-driver cab. My 2x12 / 2x6 would weigh 70-80 pounds instead of 50 if it didn't have neos.

5. Wow! I thought that it was like 3-5 pounds of savings. That might make the 12/10/6.5 cab doable.

6. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The 6.5 would make the 10 superfluous. You might as well keep the cabinet small - you said you were looking for something 1x12ish (Aguilar). Your cab would be as big as a 2x12 or 3x10. Those mid drivers take up a lot of real estate on baffle boards.

7. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    Just as an example, an Eminence Delta 12LF weighs 11.8 lbs, and a Deltalight-II 2512 weighs 5.1 lbs. A noticeable difference, but nowhere near what Eric was thinking.

Maybe get Mark to build you a 1260 and leave the tweeter out.

8. It's not necessarily size I'm worried about, it's weight.

You really think that the 10" would be too much? I was thinking that the 12 would get some nice, tight lows, the 10 would add punch, and the 6.5 would give me those nice, clear high mids. Is the 12 and the 6.5 going to sound the same as a 12/10/6.5 would?

9. Yeah, I E-mailed marc and he said that the savings would actually only be about 5 to 6 pounds total if I switched all 4 drivers to neo.

10. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I would also look at a 1x12, 2x8 and a 6.5 or tweet depending on your taste. Or with just 1x8 if its too heavy.

11. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    From what I have read, part of the weight savings on a neo cab is that the cab itself can be made with more lightweight materials because it's not supporting the heavy driver.

12. I don't think that they have 8"ers. Not sure, though.

13. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

Low Down Sound is doing some killer stuff with 8's.
    As well as custom configurations like you mentioned. Actually I'm surprised I'm the first one to mention them.
    www.lowdownsound.com

14. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

+1 The new Eminence Neo 8's seem like the bomb, and the way Don combines 'long throw 8's' and standard 8's in ported and non-ported portions of the cabinets is very cool!

15. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

You stalking me Ken??
    :D

16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

:bag:

17. bigfatbass

bigfatbass Banned

Jun 30, 2003
    Upstate NY
    Endorsing Artist: Karl Hoyt Basses
    You'll have plenty of time to figure out what you want the cab loaded with if you go Dr. Bass.

My vote would be Low Down Sound unless you have the half a year to kill waiting for a custom job from Dr. Bass.

18. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    The build time on my LDS cab was only about a month - but I had to wait on the design and for the new Eminence neos to come out (and a subsequent redesign because of that). Don can finish you a cab in a few weeks if you catch him at the right time.

19. The LDS stuff is more expensive, though, isn't it?

Also - I can't find any reviews on LDS stuff except for the 2x8 BP review. There are a lot of reviews for Dr Bass stuff, and they all point towards the tone I want.

20. MikeBass

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

Search here for LDS, Low Down Sound.
    And I don't think they are all that expensive when you get into the custom stuff-comparred to anyone else that is.