Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

need help deciding which bass to sell.... :(

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by teenageriot2004, Aug 1, 2004.

1. teenageriot2004

teenageriot2004

Aug 1, 2004
    hey guys. being a poor pennyless kid, i need to sell one of my bass' (really pissed about this) but which do you think i should get rid off:

1. fender precision
    2. fender jazz
    3. fender mark hoppus custom
    4. music man sterling

i love them all, so can you help me pick??

2. frigo

frigo burn in hell!

Dec 8, 2003
    Italy
    yeah, the hoppus...

then second the sterling
    then the precision

i would keep the jazz for last

3. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    +2

4. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    I'd DEFINITELY dump the Hoppus but don't sell that sterling dude, you'll kick yourself for it. I love mine, prolly the best bass I've got and I've got two other really nice sounding basses but the Sterling has that undefinable "something" about it. Maybe mine's just a great example but I doubt it, I've loved every one I've played. So... yeah that went nowhere. Sell the Hoppus sir.

5. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
  6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I won't tell you which one to lose, but I've long felt that if I have a Jazz and a Precision I don't need anything else. Just my opinion.

7. demolition

demolition Guest

Jul 5, 2003
    Conn.
    Let me think for a minute..NOT ! Dump the fake Fender signature bass, YES THE Hoppus !

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hoppus. I mean, it's an interesting bass, but if you ever wanted it back later, it could be had inexpensively. Especially after blink 182 loses their fanbase.

Don't get me wrong, I like the band, too, but it happens to the best of them. (And the worst)

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    what one do you find yourself using the least?

10. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

While davidmwilson is correct, the one you use the least is the one you can most easily part with, here's another way to look at it. You have:

1 bass with dual J pickups
    1 bass with MM humbucker in the MM sweetspot
    2 basses with P pickups

So from a view strictly driven by variety/versatility it seems like the P and Hoppus basses are the pair that do the same thing and one of them should be the one to go. Then again if you are a big P fan and seem to always be using either the P or Hoppus then maybe one of the others needs to go.

11. The P bass probably does what the Hoppus can do but better. Besides the Basslines pickup, everything is probably better on the P (tone knob!). I'd say sell the Hoppus.

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sell in this order:

Jazz
    Hopus
    MM
    P

Always save the P 'til last.

13. teenageriot2004

teenageriot2004

Aug 1, 2004
    thanx guys. decided i will sell the hoppus. its the one i use least anyways. plus its pink :p lol. but seriously i use it hardly at all. just wanted some fellow bass players opinions. thanx again

14. i agree...otherwise put the hoppus pickup in the P, and put the p pickup in the hoppus, and sell the hoppus...that way you would have a really cool p, and not a hoppus p

Charlie

15. Jack

Jack

Sep 6, 2003
    Newcastle, UK
    I agree 100% with Brendan and superbassman2000.

16. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Definite agreement here.

That said...good decision on selling the hoppus.

17. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    You actually bought the pink one? Wow.

You gonna eBay it or try to sell it on TB?

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The pink one rocks! If I were forced to own a Hoppus, that is the one I would want. What I really want is one of those pink paisley tele bass reissues.:drool:

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im on the same page as you. They would be especially cool in crazy dark grind metal bands.