Need help desperately with getting trebly metal tones.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Sep 11, 2005.

1. I have been considering replacing the pickups in my Hamer Import Standard 2001- with passive pickups. My ideal tones are something like Steve Digiorgio, Steve Harris, or Roger Patterson- trebly and midy enough to cut through two guitars. Any ideas?
  2. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Unfortunately, this goes beyond just the pickups.

I seem to recall pics of Roger playing a Ric, didn't he? That Ric tone is single coil pups, maple body, and a thick finish on the fretboard. DiGiorgio plays ESP with ebony fretboard and EMGs. Harris usually had a maple fretboard on some type of P-bass, with Duncan QP.

Notice anything in common? All 3 have bright-sounding fretboards. You won't get those tones from unfinished rosewood. The hard lacquer finish on a Ric or the hard gloss on a maple P fretboard makes a big difference in tone.

I'm not aware of any passive replacement pups for Explorer. You may want to ask the Gibson guys over on the DudePit about that. But a P pickup will give you more highs, as will the single coil Ric bridge pup.

The bottom line the way I see it is, start looking for another bass. Lots of metal bassists have used a P-bass with maple board, including Steve Harris, Frank Bello, and Dave Ellefson. One of those would be less expensive than a Ric.

Another thing you can do is add some 10's to your rig. Adding just a 2x10 on top of your BA-115 will help a lot. Stay away from the newer "low playing 10" cabs, because those drivers won't play above 1K without the tweeter. Look for something where the drivers play up to about 5k, and you'll hear more of what you're looking for coming out of your rig.

Good luck...

P.S. Do you happen to know what kind of bass Ron Royce was playing in the Masked Jackal video???