1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help dialing in a new rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rimshot, May 5, 2006.

1. Rimshot

Rimshot Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Chicago
    Ok, I JUST got a new rig (Carvin RL610: comes with a 2x10 and a 1x15). The amp has a great big bunch of stuff I just don't know how to dial in, so I'm hoping you all can guide me in the right direction.

First, sweepable mids...?

Second, Compression/Limiter (two knobs: Threshold and Ratio)

Third: Gate?

Fouth: EQ: 50-80-125-250-500-800-1.3K-2.6K-5K

I'm looking for a very crisp, snappy sound just this side of harsh, but the low E should still rumble a bit? Too much to ask for? Almost like banging a piano string.

I'm using an EBMM 4 String (3band eq) which is active (but I've gotten better results plugging into the passive input, will this hurt the amp or cabs?)

Then, I also play a Yamaha Attitude Ltd II. I'm thinking I'll need a Radial Bass Bones or something to boost the Yamaha so there's no drastic presence or volume change when switching instruments.

In otherwords...HELP!

...let the laughing and pointing commence. Thanks.:bag:

2. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    Try this first - put all of your knobs at their center position, except for your compressor and limiter - put them all the way left. Leave all voicing filters out.

Start from there. Use minor adjustments. It sounds like you know what you're going for - you want some treble in your sound and also some balls. I think you'd be surprised to find that this is avaliable on most amps not far from their "flat" positions.