Need help! Double Truss-rod

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by JayfromDeeKay, Mar 21, 2011.

1. JayfromDeeKay

JayfromDeeKay

Jun 23, 2009
    I need some help. I changed strings on my 5-string Ibanez BTB675 for the first time, so I wanted to give it a setup afterwards.

Well, it has two trussrods, so to make sure I turned both rods equally, I took a marker and put a small line at 12 o'clock on what I assumed was each truss-rod nut.

However, when I gave the first rod a small turn with the allen wrench (about one-eigth of a full turn), it turned out that the part I marked remained stationary and it was a part inside of this that actually turned.

This meant I had to try and turn rod number two an equal amount by feel/intuition, but of course doing it by feel, there's a chance they are not at totally equal tension.

Do you think this will cause a problem? Or is it too minor a difference to cause any trouble? :eek:

If it is a problem, how will I see it?

Please no evil jokes, I'm plenty worried as is. :D

2. Hi.

With my limited experience about dual rod setups (2 cheapo 6ers), I don't see that about 1/8 of a turn on both rods to cause any issues now or later on.

If there is a problem, the neck may seem to twist a bit, but I doubt that so small difference in the tension will do even that.

Regards
    Sam

3. JayfromDeeKay

JayfromDeeKay

Jun 23, 2009
    Thanks, T-bird. You put my mind at ease.

Also, when I measure, the relief seems to be about the same on both sides of the neck. I just freaked out for a sec there!

4. mellowgerman

mellowgerman

Jan 23, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    I'm with Tbird on this one. Seems if they couldn't take slightly different tensions it would be silly to do a double rod in the first place

5. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2010
    Constant state of flux
    Ya, what would be the point if they both had to be under the same tension...

6. JayfromDeeKay

JayfromDeeKay

Jun 23, 2009
    Thanks for the answers, guys.

7. AmadeusXeno

AmadeusXeno

Mar 8, 2011
    Maine
    I have had a couple basses with 2 truss rods. If the relief looks the same on both sides with mine I call it good, and haven't had a problem yet. I think you'll be alright too.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021