Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Nuttboy311, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Bass came first (Stand up)

6 vote(s)
  2. Guitar came first

2 vote(s)
    Almost all of my close friends play guitar and are pretty ignorant. They all think that guitar is older than bass in general. This started because I always say that bass is much better than guitar. Last night we had a huge debate over this. I kept on telling them that the double bass has been around centuries longer than the acoustic guitar (which they think is older). They are the most frusterating bunch of lunkheads. Me being the only bassists out of any of my friends must defend it! I need the help of you wonderful people to help me prove my ignorant, guitar-loving, friends wrong. Also, they believe that guitar requires much more coordination, even after I try and explain to them that using 2 or 3 fingers to pluck a string requires much more coordination than strumming with a pick. I know that you all think that I am some sick child who hates everyone, but thats not true, I just want to prove them wrong.
  2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Not to be flippant, but -- Who cares? Save your energy for those things important.
  3. Because I am young, competative, it is summer, and I am trying to give bass a place in my friends since they think it is insignificant.
  4. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Then show them how the magic of music is spun.
  5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think you're fighting a losing battle on two fronts here! ;)

But on your original point it will be very difficult to prove - fretted instruments like Lutes and similar in other cultures have been around an awfully long time - minstrels strumming something or other are in medieval literature and paintings. Double Basses undoubtedly post-date these, although bass viols and other bass "things" were possibly about then.

I would guess that it is much easier to make something the size and resonant frequency of a guitar/lute/mandolin than to make something like a Double Bass and hence that these came first - but I don't think there is any way of proving it and like Ray, even less point in trying to do so! ;)
  6. From the Encyclopedia Britannica:

"Forms of the double bass date from the late 15th or early 16th century and were in common use by the 18th."

"Guitar...probably originated in Spain early in the 16th century, deriving from the guitarra latina, a late-medieval instrument with a waisted body and four strings."
  7. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Just go date all their girlfriends while they're practicing their tabs.
  8. Buddy Lee

Buddy Lee

May 5, 2002
  9. i think some weird sick combination of guitar-bass-thingy, with 2 strings or something, came out first which absolutely shook the world coz of its greatness .. then some lazy dude said he'd make 4 strings, and then ::::: WHOA !!!!! he's made a world record !! noone could believe it and people started commiting suicide coz of the dominance of that instrument !!
    then some jealous dude made up the guitar with 6 strings so he could get all the chicks from that bassguitardude so now 49% of all chicks like the guitar and 51%of all chicks like the bass..
    but you should add the guitarbassthingy to the choice coz i think everyone would believe that S**T .... but ireally do think this could be kind of true ....
  10. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

I still think you need to watch your sugar intake, kiddo...
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nah - it was his cat posting again, while he was away from the screen for a few seconds - that cat is seriously strung out, waiting to be "done"!! :eek: