Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NEED HELP! effects pedal order..

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slimjazz, Jul 3, 2005.

1. slimjazz

slimjazz

Jul 2, 2005
    Hey-I'm currently working on setting up my pedal board. Can anyone help me put my effects pedal in the "right" order?? Here's what I got..

Guyatone BL2 Compressor (might upgrade to Aphex Punch Factory)
    3 Channel Sansamp Bass DI
    Digitech Bass MultiChorus
    EHX Double Muff Distortion
    EHX Q-tron+

I spoke with the guy in guitar center and he told me that, the order of effects on your board should always be 1-compressor 2-overdrive 3-distortion 4-chorus 5-flangers/envelopes...etc. This might be true for the most part but I know that its not always the case... especially depending on my pedals.. here is what I had in mind as my board setup

guyatone bl2/aphex comp>>sansamp DI>>Double Muff>>Chorus>>Q-tron+...

Is this order correct? should the chorus be last? is there any other pedals i might need? any help would be great. thanks

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    the guy at GC was right...ish. It doesn't always need to be that order but that'sa good start. I would say, before u velcro em down, fool around with the order and u need to decide what sounds better. However, logically u can say, "this will effect this, this will effect this," etc. But by screwing with it you could get cool stuff.

btw...don't ever ask, "what else do i need" here lol. it's just bad news

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, there's many ways to do it.
    Here's some things to consider for your pedal chain.
    1) If you're going to use the DI, you'll need it last on your chain - so either the Sansamp or Aphex.
    2) I tend to put compression AFTER distortion/od/fuzz/ev filters. Some pedals will induce wild volume peak changes, so you might want to limit them. Compression first is valid also, I'm just letting you know the options.

In your case, assuming you will be using the Sansamp as a DI I'd do:
    Bass->EHXdoubleMuff->Qtron->Comp->Chorus->Sansamp

4. Chube

Chube

Jul 2, 2005
    Milano - Italia
    I stay on this thread for a similar question:

I alrady have a behringer rack compressor which doesn't seem to work very efficiently...it work but i can't get god harmonics out of it.
    So i decided (upon suggestion of someone here!) to buy a Limiter-enhancer pedal (behringer) and a chorus pedal.
    Maybe in the next gigs I might want to use a distorsion pedal too.
    So:
    - What should my effect chain look like?

- I used to connect the compressor to the head via send/return...do you think I still need it? Or it's enuff with the limiter pedal?

- Do pedal ALWAYS connect to the head input or can be connected to send/return plugs?

-Final question...I can choose between "Boss blues driver" and "Boss turbo distorsion" (both are for guitar).
    Which one could work better on bass?(consider I don't need exagerated distortion, just a pinch).

THANX A LOT IN ADVANCE!

5. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Mine is Wah/Envelope Filter > OD > Delay > Chorus.

If I get a compressor I will put it in front of everything else.

6. Chube

Chube

Jul 2, 2005
    Milano - Italia
    Sorry if I insist, but I'd like to have your opinion about questions 2,3 and 4.

Can anyone answer?
    Grazie

7. sean_w_mcgrath

sean_w_mcgrath does this forum name make me look fat?

Since some envelope filters (maybe all of them....not quite sure) respond to the attack and dynamics of your playing....you may be limiting them by placing a compressor in front of them. I haven't tried this out, but in theory this makes sense. Maybe one of the experts can correct me if I am wrong.

It also makes sense to place a comp after any envelope filter, because I know when I had my Qtron, depending on how you played.....you could get some crazy volume spikes....something a comp would help fix.

If you search this forum for "Blues Driver", there was a thread where someone said they got some really great distortion out of it.

8. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    How about putting a compressor last? I'm using a Digitech BSW, a Digitech Bass Driver and an EBS Multi Comp at the moment.
    The in/out jacks of the EBS are reversed compared to the Digitech stomp boxes so if I want it first in the signal chain I have to plug it in upside down to avoid excessive cable mess. Therefore, I kind of have the feeling the EBS is designed to come last in a pedal chain. :eyebrow:

9. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    you have the older version of the multicomp. All 'grey' EBS pedals have this reversed layout, so there's no place in signal chain implied.

10. while im in this thread ill ask if my order is correct.

bass> wah> distortion> od> eq> tuner> amp.

or should it be different.

11. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI

This makes for a great sig line, may I?

12. I agree with the compressor after a Q-Tron. I use the compressor on my head just a touch, but it helps mostlly withe spikes from the Q-Tron.

bass-me50B-qtron-amp. Pretty simple. I do like using the wah (on the me50b) before the q-tron. I've tried it the other way and me likey not so much.