Need help fast! the decrease gain light is on...can this be dangerous?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by soadx, Feb 17, 2003.

1. soadx

May 27, 2002
    I have a crate amp. And when I turn up the gain too far, (or even not far at all sometimes) I get the decrease gain light on. Is this dangerous?? What does gain exactly do?
  2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    if you send ytour power amp into clipping, it could possibly blow out your speaker.

try baccking off some of the bass and low mids if you don't want to/can't turn down anymore... if not it may be time to invest in a better, more powerful amp. crates are kind of notorious for not having the best quality in the world y'know... ;)
  3. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    When in doubt, listen to what your amp's engineers are asking you to do and decrease the gain until it says that the soup is cooking as it should. :D

Bass-ically Yours,
  4. Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    You could also try lowering your pickup a little bit.It worked for me........
  5. corinpills

Nov 19, 2000
    Boston, MA

This is an extremely dangerous situation. Stop playing immediately. You should head down to the basement with saltines and a 9v battery. If possible, surround yourself with government cheese, dig a ditch around yourself and assume the crash position. Just stay down there until further notice. We'll let you know when the danger has passed. Thank God in heaven we found out about this early.
  6. kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    try turning the gain down, and the volume up. worked for me.
  7. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000

:D :D :D :D Good one!