1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help Figuring Out How to Sound Like Bill MacCormick

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cottonfrog, Jun 9, 2018.

1. cottonfrog

cottonfrog

Jun 9, 2018
    Hello. Sorry if this kind of post is bothersome, but I am in need of help from the gear experts.

Bill MacCormick's bass playing here is some of my favorite that I've heard. Unfortunately, he is fairly obscure and so not much information about his gear is known. The only information I really have so far is that he plays a P bass with his fingers. I know that instead of trying to sound like other bass players, I should try to find my own sound, but this seems like a good starting point to fine tune afterwards.

Thanks for any help.

2. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Prog style bass! Yay!:thumbsup:

Interesting. I always thought he played an EB-3L. But it seems he did switch over to a Precision from what I could find.

The bass in the above recording sounds like a PB that’s being aggressively played finger-style and compressed fairly heavily. At least to my ears. No fancy effects or anything else that I could hear in there. That’s tone is most likely all just him.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
    cottonfrog likes this.
  3. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Hello, and welcome to TalkBass. You might ask this in the Bassists sub-forum: Bassists [BG]

Also, it would be helpful if your thread title included "Bill MacCormick". There are countless 'how do I get this sound' threads on TalkBass. Readers interested in Bill MacCormick's work would be able to spot his name more easily in a thread title. So would search engines.

Good luck!

4. cottonfrog

cottonfrog

Jun 9, 2018
    Thanks for the suggestion! Just changed the title.

Snaxster likes this.
  5. jblock

jblock

Mar 20, 2004
    CT
    Big fan of Bill's and this album, especially his playing on TNK. One of the main inspirations for me taking up the bass. Based on all the pictures I've seen of this "tour," Bill is playing a sunburst P with a maple fingerboard, no effects and straight into a Hi-Watt head with what looks like a WEM Starfinder cabinet. I'm sure his volume has something to do with that tone.

cottonfrog and Snaxster like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 19, 2021