1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help figuring what bass to buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Raepox, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Raepox

Raepox

Mar 8, 2008
    Hello :)

I need some help figuring out what kind of bass I should get.
    I mainly play rock and metal music, and the price in looking for is 400-600$. I could go higher if its really worth it.

Bring on your personal recommendations. Hope i'm posting at the right forum now :) Thanks a bunch.

EDIT: Should prob. have searched first.

2. I'd go for a European-made Spector. You'd almost certainly be able to get a ReBop bolt-on model in your price range, and with a little luck a Euro or Euro LX neck-through models: the Euro had an all-maple body and the LX an Alder/Walnut/Figured Maple layered body.

While great for many types of music, Spectors have been the sound of rock and metal music since the '80s. Even if the bassist is an endorsee of another company, Spectors have often been used in the studio for their tone. Queensryche ("Operation: Mindcrime" and "Empire" are prime example of the Spector Sound), Metallica (during the "Jason Years" he often used a Spector for recording purposes, Alice In Chains ([/i]both Mikes, Starr and Inez used Spectors[/i]), Porcupine Tree (Colin Edwin used a Spector in standard tuning and one downtuned to C/F/Bb/Eb for the recording and tour for "Fear Of A Blank Planet)...

They sound great overall, their European "midrange" model is amazing money-wise and 90-90% of the USA-built model for over 1/2 the price... it's extremely hard to go wrong with a Spector.

3. SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Jan 22, 2008
    Brussels
    I recommend ( as I do with all beginners)
    buy a squier.
    You can not go wrong with squier go to your local music store and try a fender or squier P(recision) bass or a J(azz) bass see what you like best and buy the type you like best, preferably red (or blue whatever(do they even sell them blue nowadays?)).

4. bassalo

bassalo

Jan 23, 2008
    CT
    I disagree and believe you can go wrong with a Squier or the rest of that garbage. Based on what you wrote, I assume you already play and should look past the beginner equipment. However if you are interested in a rig that is versatile enough for metal, rock, etc., that has very easy playability, smooth sounds and hot in looks, I'd have to recommend Schecter. Take a look at their Stiletto line and all the online reviews for them. I have yet to find anyone unhappy with them. The value is through the roof - price ranges $400-$600 but the bass seems like a $1,000 bass. Check em out.

Here's the TB Schecter thread.
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=220001&page=39

5. SuzyCreamcheese

SuzyCreamcheese

Jan 22, 2008
    Brussels
    Really constructive ... You know there is a reason why Fender and to lesser extent Squier are the world greatest bass/guitar firm.
    And I thought the community was past the Fender/Squier bashing.
    Oh and FYI I own a Sadowsky as my main bass.

6. I recently played a ESP LTD 5 string not sure what model, but it had a natural finish. It was a very good bass and only $1500

7. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    What ever you do, find a friend or teacher to help you. That person should have experience in how to find the best instrument and value for you. That said, your price range might get a used Fender Highway One. I think they can be very good value. Shop around.

8. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    +1 to the shop around suggestion. At your price point your not going to find anything truly exceptional, but there are a lot of very good instruments out there. Quality has gone way, way up for almost all manufacturers over the last 10 or 15 years. We could all recommend a different brand/model bass that we think would fit your needs well, but the truth of the matter is that they are all probably pretty good instruments and comparable in quality to one another. Play as many as you find and pick the one that sounds/plays like you imagine it should.

9. chaunceytoben

chaunceytoben

May 29, 2007
    Detroit, MI
    I would recommend saving up for a little bit more. The basses in your current price rane are very limited. However, once you get to the $1000 range, your options are truly endless. this is of course, unless your set on buying a bass now.

10. envika

envika

Nov 27, 2007
    Bronx, NY
    -fender precision
    -fender jazz (both $4-500 and you can't really go wrong)
    -epiphone thunderbird, if you can stand the weight (around $300)
    -i don't like the schecter stiletto myself, but for metal it works well
    -i think spectors are in this price range
    -ibanez soundgear (i love 'em) or ATK (i've never played one but have heard good things about them

11. KENT ROSS

KENT ROSS

Aug 4, 2007
    Carvins are NICE...and you're buying through their factory,so you aren't paying a "middle-man". Their custumer service is great,and their quality is up there with the best of them.
    Kent:bassist:

12. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Order of preference that I would have -

G&L Tribute (L2000)
    Fender (Standard/MIM or Deluxe) or Ibanez (SRX, GSR or ATK)
    Yamaha (BB)
    Peavey (Zodiac)

13. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    OK, so we need a black, inaudible one. Ideas, people.

14. bassalo

bassalo

Jan 23, 2008
    CT
    So what did you buy?