1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help finding a decent Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by waytoodeep03, Feb 28, 2008.

1. I have been playing bass for about 3 years now but never really got into playing a jazz bass. I dont even know where to start.

I was looking at Fender MIM and MIA basses and really dont know the difference in sound. I was also checking Lakland and G&L as well. Also Im hearing about the Squire Deluxe Jazz from this forum.

I dont know what to get. I just know I would like it to be active with alot of full bottom. I live in a town where not alot of these basses are available to play so I would buy unheard. I

2. Jo6Pak

Jo6Pak

May 2, 2007
    The Deluxe Series MIM Jazzes are active and pretty nice. I've almost bought one on a couple different occasions (ended up walking out with something else both times, but the MIM Deluxe was in the running). However, being Fenders, its always BEST if you can look at a few of them and choose one, as they tend to vary in construction. In your case, you might get lucky and order a decent one. Its a gamble though. I still wouldn't mind having one someday.

3. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    IMHO, nothing beats an MIA. MIMs are okay basses, but eventually you will want to upgrade. With an MIA, set it up, do a fret leveling (if needed) and you have a bass for life.

4. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    Hey man, You have probably read a little bit about some suspect QC on Fenders, I'd try to stay away from buying via mail order as you may end up unhappy. The Lakland JO and DJ are great basses both available in the Skyline version which is a similar price point to the MIA Fenders. I don't think the DJ comes active though.

For the most part you get what you pay for, so if you have the budget for a MIA Fender the Lakland Skyline stuff is really great and similarly priced which should warrant a look. The Sadowsky Metros are a little higher price range and if you can swing it I'd be comfortable with either sight unseen. However if you can't spend much more then a MIM Fender it is probably your best choice in that price range for a J bass. The Highway 1 hit a point between the two although again I think is only passive.

My only other comment would be if your new to the J bass thing don't discount a passive bass they can sound killer! If you have a decent amp there really is not much EQing that you can't pass from the onboard to the amp....

Good Luck!

5. Ampeg SVT

Ampeg SVT Son, I am disappoint.

Sep 9, 2006
    I love my DJ, its a great bass. I'll just say go lakland.

6. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    +1 on the Highway One (as opposed to the HIghway 1). I've got one and I just plain love it. It's good enough that I don't miss my Lakland USA JO. Some may consider that heresy but mine is really that good.

The new American Standard Series (both Ps and Js) basses are very good. I'm picking up my P this weekend.

7. afireinside

afireinside

Jan 3, 2008
    Michigan
    Ya get a HW ones, got one used w/ hsc and aftermarket pups, wine color, $400.00 at local shop. Get a '06 and above look for the reinforced neck, truss rod adjustment is at the body/neck joint not the headstock. Ebay they can go for $400.00 also