Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help Finding Cooling Fan For RackCase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Cantstandsya, Sep 21, 2002.

1. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Anyone ever install a fan in their rack case?If so, where did you buy it and how did you mount it and supply power to it?I did a search but didn't find much.

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    is your gear overheating and turning off? is there an internal fan(s) in your amp? if you need to replace the fan in your amp, you can get one in a computer store. if you want you can just get a small room fan and point it into your rack, the problem here is that it is noisy and will blow dust at your gear. if your gear is just getting hot i wouldn't worry too much because it's supposed to get hot. i know all the swr stuff i've owned would get hot enough to actually burn your fingers.

3. Go on E-Bay and do a search under "rack fan"

I have seen all kinds rangeing from 2 space to 4 space or larger rack plates with the fan mounted to that. I have also seen ones that mount like a effects unit (either 1 or 2 space), and the fans blow above and below it (the fans mount between gear). I have a four space with a fan that is mounted to my rear rails. I paid $20 on E-Bay.

The other option is looking in stores like Walmart. I found a 6 inch fan that has a clip on the base. Just clip it to the rear of your rack with the fan blowing in.

4. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yes my 400S gets very hot, which doesn't bother me.The thing that does bother me is when it shuts down in the middle of a show.I have two open spaces above it and I don't push it very hard.The internal fan is working and everything is clean inside.I have noticed that it usally shuts off at club shows when my rig is backed up about a foot away from a wall.During outdoor shows when it has plenty of room behind it as well as in front of it, I have run it for two hours plus with no problems.I figured an external fan will keep it running cooler as we have a show in Utah next weekend and i know it will be plenty hot there.

5. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    actually you probably are running it too hard. i had similar problems with my bass 350. i called swr and they said that running the gain and volume up past 12:00 was running it way too hard at even a 4 ohm load. that whole spiel about running it until it clips and then backing off the gain or volume was B.S. to say the least i was very disappointed and angry that they said one thing and you couldn't do it. i felt betrayed. they said that they are designed to shut off when being pushed too hard regardless of clipping (which mine never ever did). they also said that you really shouldn't run a 2 ohm load even though they advertise that it was rated at 450 watts at 2. why advertise that when it is not safe to do?! needless to say i will never buy their products again and wouldn't recommend them to anyone!!! :mad:

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I thought my SWR SM-400S was running hot at a recent gig and am trying to encourage air circulation by replacing a power conditioner with a vented front rack panel. That should help situations where there isn't enough cool air coming into the back.

BTW, I tend to run my input gain around noon or 1 o'clock and the master at about the same level. I've had it up to 2 o'clock on one occasion, too. Don't notice any clipping at these levels, and the amp has never shut down.

Dan

7. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I have an older sm400 (no fan at all). I usually run the gain between 2 and 3 o'clock and the volume at about 1 o'clock. Been doing this for two and a half years with a 4 ohm load and a 5 string bass and never had a problem with it. Have you had yours checked out by a good amp tech? Maybe something has just gone screwie in there.

8. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Yeah...maybe the famous idle bias adjustment?

Dan

9. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    Yeah it's been checked out by a tech.SWR put a new Transformer in a little over a year ago.It ran fine in stereo mode with a Triad and Goliath Jr.(both 4 ohms)although it was seriously lacking in volume.A few months later I got a Henry the 8x8 and started running that in Bridged mode @4 Ohms.My volume problems were solved but that's when it started overheating and shutting off.I then took it in to SWR to check the bias.They said it was fine and that I should get a 750 to push my Henry.A couple of months after that it started cutting out really bad during a show.I thought it was the tube .I replaced the tube and still kept cutting out.Anyways,I took it to a shop and paid $140 to have everything resoldered.It works fine now but still overheats................

10. tornadobass

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Youch! That amp is getting expensive to keep going. Maybe consider picking up a power amp for larger shows and just the the SWR's preamp section.

Dan

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yep that the way I'm going. Just for the headroom. I have a QSC PLX 1602 coming this week and plan to use the sm400 as a pre amp until I get the SWR IOD. Can't wait to hear what 1600 watts sounds like through 2 EA VL210's