Need help finding date of origin - Ampeg SVT

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by crabapple23, Jul 8, 2008.

1. crabapple23

crabapple23

Feb 21, 2007
    are there any reference points to go to to find the exact manufacture date of my amp? i know its a '69. the story behind it puts it the very beginning of manufacture and sold to its original owner before they went on sale to the general public . . . just trying to verify that information before it goes up for sale. :crying:

serial number (i think) is 102599.

l_a3bf8c7b6ad59cc0c9e2612453b1ae1a.png
    l_567a7332ec33b6c8d5110f0cbdd8d46f.png

2. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    You can pull the pre-amp and look at the back side of the bass pot. The CTS date is there.
    It should read 137 xx xx.
    The 137 denotes CTS. (same as CTS speakers)
    The first 2 x's are the year of build and the next 2 are the week of that year.Also it should have the transformers dated in a simular fashion.
    I assume it has an unpainted chassis.
    Where did you locate that serial number?
    Was it on the chassis or the black information plate that runs acorss the back of the head?
    What makes you think it's a 69?
    My serial number is 88150.

3. crabapple23

crabapple23

Feb 21, 2007
    there was a rectangular hole in the back plate and that number was showing through . . . i'm not very knowledgeable about this sort of thing, sorry. i know the original owner, and he has assured me of its year.

unfortunately, it couldn't be in worse shape cosmetically. tolex is shredded, corners are missing, all the grill cloth was painted black :crying: ,not to mention one of the original cabs is gone, but its in tip-top shape inside . . . recently gone over by steve dikun.

thanks for the info, i'll check the bass pot.

4. sedan_dad

sedan_dad

Feb 5, 2006
    Columbus,Ohio
    The white circle indicates where the serial number should be stamped. View attachment 96845

Where is the cut out you spoke of?
    My pot is stamped 137 7004.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 4, 2021