Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help finding good instructional videos. Sorry I double posted.

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by realitycheck, Sep 8, 2005.

1. realitycheck

realitycheck

Sep 8, 2005
    Hey guys,
    I have a question for you guys. First just a little info, I have just started playing the bass in my church youth group. I started probably about 3 1/2 months ago or so. I really enjoy it we play rock, worship, all kinds of stuff. Anyway, for my question right now I am looking to see if you guys have used any instructional videos to help you guys when you were learning if so which ones and whats the best one you've ever used?

Also any tips you guys can give me for just starting off will help a whole lot.
    Thanks realitycheck

2. realitycheck

realitycheck

Sep 8, 2005
    Anyone, anyone, Buehler?

3. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I've never really used videos, though I have used many, many books. If you're interested in a book with CD I highly recommend Patrick Pfieffer's "Bass Guitar for Dummies". It gives a very good and easy to understand overview of playing the bass. I believe it's about $16 at Amazon.com.

I can also recommend the series of books my instructor has out. The "Beginning" one does come with a DVD now, though I have yet to check it out. These go over a lot of the same stuff as the above book does, but goes into increasingly more detail as you go through the series. I've found them to be extremely good. You can check them out at his website and order them through there if you wish, but they're also available at most stores that carry Bass Method books and Videos. http://www.daveoverthrow.com//bookpage.html

Good luck and have fun!

4. realitycheck

realitycheck

Sep 8, 2005
    Hey thanks pruitt. I checked out the bass guitar for dummies. So you say that it really helped you huh?

5. I used "Play Bass Today" featuring a dude by the name of Chris Kringel. After I stopped laughing at his name (He even jokes about it in the video) I learned some things. Notes on the fretboard, scales, and some tunes. It comes with a book, a CD, and a DVD.

6. realitycheck

realitycheck

Sep 8, 2005
    Really, where did you get it?

7. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    You posted 2 identical threads in different sections. This should have just been posted in the General Instruction section of the board. Please try & keep posts where they belong.

I have a couple of videos. I have 2 from Stu Hamm, & 1 from Victor Wooten. All helped out in one way or another. I got more out of the Stu Hamm vids than I did from Wooten, Stu breaks things down better.

8. Pruitt

Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    The nice thing about BGFD is written in an extremely easy to understand manner. I gave a copy to my nephew and he's working through it pretty well. Another good friend of mine who also plays the bass who knew pretty much no theory before buying the book, has improved tremendously since purchasing it and working through it since last April. I personally found a lot of useful tidbits and grooves to practice out of it. The author also frequents www.activebass.com (an excellent teaching site btw), and he's pretty good about answering questions about what he has in there. I have no problems recommending the book at all. ;)

9. realitycheck

realitycheck

Sep 8, 2005
    Sorry about that turski. I think im going to look into the bass guitar for dummies, and maybe those stu hamm vids. I just hope its worth the money.