1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help finding hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Lazarus.Bird, May 19, 2011.

1. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    So I recently got this 90s Pro Tone Squier (thanks Dave!) and after playing it for a bit I'm really digging it. I want to stealth it out but don't know much about hardware.

Tuners - will any sealed tuner of similar design fit?
    String tree - does this type of string tree have a certain name that will let me try to google a black one easier?
    Knobs - the obvious one!
    Bridge - I assumed since it was a P-Bass I could throw a Badass on here but then realized the hole pattern is not the standard Fender pattern. What type of bridge fits this?
    Pickguard - I've also never swapped PGs. This might be tough to find if the Pro Tone shape is different than a standard Squier. Any advice on this?

image.
    image1.
    image2.
    image3.

2. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Yes this is a 90s Pro Tone Squier. Had to do some digging to even find information about it. Made in Korea, only produced for like a year I think? And this was the only color combination made in a 4 string I think.

And thanks for the links, but my questions are more about what type of hardware do I need to buy. I guess any grover style tuner should fit?

3. Tuners of the open gear kind can be retrofitted if you want that look. I know that some of the closed gear types were pretty poor quality, but I am only saying that from rumors and innuendo.

4. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    I've seen the bridge before. It's heavy buffed brass. I've seen it with Fender stamped (which I couldn't tell from the pic) on the heavy string stop. I don't recognize the screw pattern in that one. I've seen 5 holes under the string tree. If I'm correct, the one's stamped Fender were a drop-in for 1980's MIJ. The one pictured: I have not seen the screw patten; you may have to fill them.

5. No way would I change that bridge. it looks like a good one, and if it's heavy brass you're going to spend a lot of $ to get one that's as solid.

6. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    So I finally get a cool bass that would be fun to mod, and it had such a short production life that it is impossible to find stuff to fit it? Awesome! I think it looks pretty cool as is, but really wanted to stealth this sucker out!

7. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    He wants to go under the radar and black this one out. With that matching headstock it would be criminal not to.

Drop the bridge into your parts drawer and eventually bolt it onto a franken-fender. I wouldn't be surprised if a Mustang or Bullet bridge would mount right up to this bass. Black ones may be tough to find. What are the dimensions?

I think those tuners look like 12 mm posts. Even if they are not, stay with the identical current post size, and the way is clear.

Knobs you need to pay attention to the pot post. Is it split or not. Done.

String guide; I've seen some people do interesting things. Bullets, coins, whatever. If you are a bit creative/handy I think you might really please yourself. Own it.

I don't know anything about Squier pickguard sizes, but while you have it open, you might consider giving it new pots and caps for <$20.00.

Nice bass. Post a good series of outdoor "After" pictures when you are done.

...don't forget the La Bella tapewounds

8. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Aug 5, 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona 85029
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Measure the tuner diameter. Chances are, a typical Gotoh-style tuner (1/2" diameter) will fit it perfectly.

I can't think of any bridges off-hand that use the 4-screw set like that. But if you're willing to drill your own holes, you can never go wrong with a nice black Hipshot A bridge.

String trees are easy enough to find. BassPartsResource, etc sell them. I have a black one on my Frankenjazz, and it looks schecksy.

No-pole replacement pickup covers would look sweet too.

Pickguards are tough to match. But if you make a nice trace of it and send it to WD Music, they can check and see if they have the template available and get you a solid black pickguard replacement.

Along with the pot & cap upgrade (presuming they are in poor condition), any bass benefits from a nice copper shielding job.

LaBella tapes are lame. Go with some DR Black Beauties. Same black color, superior tone. :)p)

9. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Hey thanks for the info :) I was looking inside and I don't think the pots are stock. Looks like they were upgraded at some point. And it already has chromes on it which I loooove ;)

How long do the LaBella and DRs coating last? I run Chromes on all my basses (which this one came with!) and don't change my strings for at least a year at a time.

10. Labellas are good for 20-30 years.

11. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    By the way I'll post some dimensions later tonight to see if anyone has any more suggestions in terms of bridges and such!