1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help finding my next bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lancimouspitt, Aug 27, 2012.

1. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    Alright all Tber's I need your help

It appears that by income tax time I will finally have enough money for a new bass. (probably like a lot of you out their) I sold off my MIM Fender Jazz and my peavy foundation leaving me pretty much only with my Alvarez AEB5 (and my little beginner ibanez) My Alavrez does everything I need but of course I want that second bass that equals or far surpasses it and I don't want to settle for something that's just going to get me by.

As far as price,i'm looking to spend anywhere from 1200 to about 1500. Maybe even 1700 if I have too.Not the best price range but it's what I got. I'm no luthier,so building an instrument myself is out of the question. I'm thinking of getting a carvin. Either an Icon series model or the LB. This will probably be the only bass I'll buy for a long time to come so as you can imagine I want to make sure I get the best bass possible.

My only problem with Carvin is despite a lot of praise I hear negative as well. The pickups aren't that great,neck problems,etc. Of course you get this with any bass but I want to be on the side of caution.
    Within my price range what would you recommend?
    I like to slap,tap,and of course play finger style.

2. The info you have may be regarding older Carvins. The ones made ion the last 4-5 years or so I have personally found to be absolutely top notch. I have 3 of them (2xB50's and a B25P), and these replaced a Sadowsly Metro and all my Laklands. Not once has there been the tiniest bit of regret. The only mods I've done is to one that I order unrouted specifically to add a single P pickup. Everything else is stock and they get rave reviews from bandmates and audience types as well. Go listen to some clips on the Carvin Channel.

You can get pretty much anything you want, exactly how you want it from Carvin in your price range. If you can do wider spacing, I highly recommend the B and SB series. The pickups are awesome as are the electronics.

3. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    Thanks man!

4. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I'm a fan of Carvin myself. I'm gassing for an SB-4000 in Dragon Burst.....

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's a great price range. There are tons of awesome basses to be had.

Are you looking at new, used, or both?

6. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    It really doesn't matter.
    If it feels good and comes through the mix I would go even less. That's the only other thing about carvin. I can't try what I'm getting before I get it. Right now i'm looking at the SB4000. I think my christmas spending will be meager this year. HAHA.

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    P bass
    J bass
    Stingray
    G&L
    Ric
    Spector
    Sadowsky Metro
    Lakland

Seriously, you can find almost anything you want on the used market in your range. FWIW, I bought a used Sadowsky NYC for a few hundred more...

8. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio
    I'd love to have a stingray,even a bongo.
    I know I shouldn't go off a bad experience but i've had two bad experience's with Fender.
    Still love the J bass despite it. Maybe it was because it was MIM. Who knows.

9. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Frat-Pack Sympathizer

I have a 2010 Carvin LB76W with stock pups. Recently I had it in a recording studio, and the recording engineer flipped for it. Made me plug it into all his best preamps. Said he wanted to finally hear his pre's with a bass worthy of them. I think the pups are just fine :D

10. lancimouspitt

lancimouspitt

Dec 10, 2008
    dayton Ohio

I just squealed like a little girl with pure joy reading this.
    Total bassgasim.