Need Help Finding New Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marcap, May 15, 2002.

1. Hey,
    Im pretty new to Bass and need some help. I finally think that ive outgrown my cheap Squire (although it's served me well). Im looking for a new
    Bass thats between $400-700. I have small fingers so I'd like a nice thin neck and it should'nt be too heavy. As for the sound I like a nice deep tone like what you'd hear from Led Zeppelin or even the Beatles. Im not big on that real punchy tone at all. Can anyone point me in the right direction of what I should start trying out in stores.
    Thanks for the Help!
  2. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    Fender Jazz Bass.

Look for a second hand one from a shop and check the warranty period.

John Paul Jones and Sir Paul used jazz basses at various points in their careers.

Edit-you might want to fill out your profile and welcome to the board. Hope you find it as enjoyable and informative as I do.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    This is a 3rd vote for the Jazz bass. If you really want to nail that classic rock sound you mentioned, a Jazz bass is the way to go. If you really want to sound authetic, slap on a set of flatwound or tapewound strings. Check the ads in your local paper (or post one yourself explaining what your looking for) and I'm sure you can get a great used high end Jazz Bass.:)
  5. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    Although the Fender Jazz basses are very nice and I recommend them highly I'm just gonna throw out another option. You might want to look at a Cort Curbow, very nice quality and tone for less then a Fender, but it won't get as much of that classic rock sound you want as a Fender Jazz would. Just another choice.