1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

need help fixing up a MIM Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Aug 6, 2004.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    As I type this, there is a black Fender Jazz bass with pickguard, control plate, and controls removed, hanging on the wall, staring at my back. I got it in a trade for my Sunburst P-bass, and when I got it, I decided it would not be giggable until I get it fixed up. The knobs were all unmatching, normal Jazz knobs would not fit on the large shaft pots, and it had a mismatched tone knob. I know for sure the bridge pickup is a Basslines SJB-3, with the logo scraped a bit, and I think the neck pickup might be, but no telling. It sounded great when I played, but I'm not too sure on keeping them. It is missing a tuner brushing, and has assorted scratches on the body, and even a bit of wear on the front upper corner.

Now, in the next few weeks, my paychecks are going towards this bass, to fix it up, and have a nice jazz bass. Of some of the extra ideas, I'm thinking of include an active preamp, tortoise shell pickguard, BA II bridge, Dunlop straplocks, Hipshot X-tender, vintage pickup cover. Anyone got any input as to what else I could do to make this a worthy bass? Money isn't a concern. Like I said, next few paychecks. I've thought about changing the pickups. These sound good, but I think a new pair might be in order, as I'm not sure of the brand or the neck pickup. For a preamp, I'm looking into both the J-retro and Raven Labs JBR-01. Something that would sound good with a pick, which I play with most of the time, but I use fingers on a few songs.

~Patrick

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Sounds like you have a cool project going on.

I'm sending you a PM.