1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need help for audition this week!!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Batz, Apr 2, 2013.

1. Batz

Batz

Aug 22, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    Trying out for a new band. They had said they were looking for a melodic, punk bass player. They gave Clash, Buzzcocks, etc. They sent me a sound file of the type of bass sound they are looking for and it ain't no Clash or Buzzcocks. Sounds fun though and something I can do, but need to bone up real quick as it is not what I am used to playing. I put the sound file below. From listening, I'm guessing review walking bass lines and blues pentatonic runs. Any other hints or suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  2. VivaLaEagle

VivaLaEagle

Mar 19, 2012
    Practice playing with a pick and going through various chord progressions and the stuff you can improvise in between.

3. Batz

Batz

Aug 22, 2012
    Orange County, CA
    I'm a pick player so that is covered. It's hard for me to hear for some reason, but at the beginning of the song (around 10 seconds in), it is just going up a pentatonic and back down correct?

4. Best of luck. Give them hell. Maybe they need you to give it the Clash and Buzzcocks it needs. I'm a beginner player (just since January this year) and I've been asked to join a band, but the thing is I know the guys already and have a strong feel of their influences (Pink floyd, nirvana, metallica etc...). My advice is to get to know these guys as much as possible, that will help you relax at the audition. Make sure your gear is up to spec (strings good, effects pod is ready, variety of plectrums, etc....).