Need help for Jazzband audition =P

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Zjarrett, May 17, 2001.

1. Zjarrett

Sep 17, 2000
    Hi Guys,
    I've been playing for maybe a year and a half, and I'd say that for my experience level im a decent bassist. I decided to join jazzband at my school to sort of force practice on myself when i feel lazy, and to just appreciate and learn some new styles of music etc etc. The problem is that I've NEVER listened to jazz outside of an elevator really and while I know what jazz is, I know NO songs or just anything about it such as progression patterns. The teacher asked that I prepare a jazz piece to bring in for my audition which makes the above problem sorta step into the light....
    Anyway, since this board has such a wide variety of users do you think someone could post and mp3, link, song title, etc of a good jazz piece that leaves me room to create in but shows that i have some talents...remember I only have a year and some experience as well. Also, if you guys could just lay down some basic jazz guidelines for bass it'd give me some stuff to think over and maybe impress her a lil' more.
    Sorry for the life story and all,
  2. BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Jazz is a a walking bass line which isn't the easiest thing, depending on what chart you have. If its cords memorize the aperigos such as GMaj7 like G=Root C=3rd D=5th F# =7root,3,5,7, higher and lower cause theres a high c, low c, and ,super low c depending on strings. Also learning the scales helps such as Major,Minor,Dorian,Dominate with flat 5, etc. Esteintally I would know all the 12 modes. I hope this helps. if you can't find a chart still I'll send you one ICQ 103218152 there ya go or e-mail
  3. Zjarrett

Sep 17, 2000
    By 12 modes do you mean 7, cause i've never heard of the extra 5
  4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

ZJarrett, you say you haven't heard any jazz except in an elevator. Well, you haven't heard jazz inside an elevator either.

So you really need to start listening to jazz to grasp how it differs from pop music. If you can get anything by Miles Davis, Charlie Parker, Coltrane, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Lionel Hampton, Modern Jazz Quartet, Herbie Hancock, Chic Corea, Pat Metheney, Al DeMeola, Dave Brubeck,Thelonius Monk, etc. in an MP3 download.

I haven't got time to go look it up for you as to what is available. One tune you might prepare for your jazz band audition would be any song off Miles Davis' classic album "Kind of Blue." While that is still jazz, it won't be as difficult for a beginner to appreciate as more complex improvisational and experimental--for want of a better word--like Bebop or Avant Guard.
  5. Zjarrett

Sep 17, 2000
    It seems like I offended some of you and that wasn't my intention, the comment "in an elevator" didnt literally mean in an elevator but it meant that the time and places i'd heard jazz weren't in a club or in my room at my leisure.
    Second, I did take some time to find some jazz CDs of players such as Trilok Gurtu, Sonny Rollins, Joshua Redman, and Herbie Hancock as I look to my immediate left, and there are more on the bed. I do know the difference between Jazz and Pop and don't assume that because I have to audition for a jazzband, implying im younger then 18, that I'm some teenybopper pop fiend who has no taste in music...On the contrary I know what I like in music and it most definately is not pop. I dont mean for any bad blood and I jsut want to sorta clear the air and make nice here.
    I'll definately check out the Miles Davis album, I've heard it referenced to several times. Thanks for replying