Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help for my extended essay...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Sheep Man, Mar 15, 2001.

1. Ok, I finally decided on comparing 2 bassists, but now I'm stuck for which 2 to compare...
    Right now I'm thinking either to compare 2 bassists who played in the same genre of music, comparing their style/technique etc.
    OR
    a bassist and another bassist that was influenced by them.

SO...which do you guys think would be more interesting/fun for me to write about? I have to hand in my research question/topic by the 26th of this month (which also happens to be my birthday... :D), so I still have about 10 days left, but I need to be specific about my research question/topic, meaning I have to name 2 bassists...
    I'd REALLY appreciate it if some of you guys could help me out with this, since I'm still a newbie to the world of bassists, and don't really know at all that many bassists, either solo performers or in bands or session players.

Thanks in advance,
    Adley Chan, aka Sheep Man :)

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    how about two who've had *great* influence on other bassists........say Jaco and James Jamerson?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'd choose those too.
    You'll probably find the most resources on those two bassists. At least there's plenty of Jaco info available, especially Milkowsky's book.
    It's probably gonna be hard to find enough info on other bassists, except perhaps some jazz bassists like Mingus.
    Heck, they even omit Jaco in most Jazz encyclopedia...

4. Hmmm...this sounds interesting, but I'm a little lost as to how I would go about writing it. Would I compare some of Jaco & Jamerson's recordings with other bassists to show similarities?
    The extended essay is basically a research paper, and as with all other research papers, everything has to be justified. So I would have to give samples of recordings etc. to get a good grade for it, right? Or...ummm...well, it's 12:15 right now, and I have 10 days til this is due...do you think you could elaborate a little?

And also, could you suggest some of James Jamerson's CDs for me to stop by & pick up after school tomorrow? If I'm going to do this I'm going to have to have some recordings to listen to so I can compare...actually, having some sheet music for it would probably be a good idea, too...

Thanks again, though, guys. :)

5. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    Do it on a couple of guys who have influenced you....

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    A great place to start, IMO, would be "standing in the shadows of Motown", the Dr Licks book about Jamerson's playing, life, etc.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't "compare and contrast" one of the techniques for writing research papers? You could easily compare (both relied heavily on a 16th note style) and contrast (one wrote, one didn't, fusion vs. dance music, etc etc) the two artists......... use your imagination! :)

good luck

7. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i would modify it a bit and compare jaco and stanley clarke - both were HUGELY influential, both were fusion pioneers contemporary with one another, and yet both had different styles, and different influences, different sounds and abilities. their lives were also very different.

besides, you could find huge amounts of info on the net about both of them, and even samples of both of their works, which you could use to compare/contrast them. shoot, you could make your project hyperlinked and have mp3's in your project.

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I agree with JT to a certain degree, however...

IMHO Jaco to Jameson is apples and oranges. BTW I like both.

My suggestion is to compare Jameson to Duck Dunn.

James Jameson was the house player for Motown. Donald Duck Dunn was the house player for Stax. Both these record companies had a list of (then) big name soul singers. Comparing these two players makes more sense because they played in similar situations and basses. Also most people are familiar with the artists if not the backing musicians. There are also far more recordings to choose from, you could think about using mp3s. As to influences, how has Soul Music (through Motown and Stax) influenced modern bands? (I don’t know that’s your job).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q="James+Jamerson"&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=motown&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?q=stax&btnG=Google+Search

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q="Donald+Duck+Dunn"&btnG=Google+Search

Some more posts and you should have a shortlist of a hundred bass players :)

Good luck or whatever you believe in, in the end do something that interests YOU it will be easier to get it done.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I think snOw has a great idea for two reasons-

1. You'll definitely be interested, (i.e., "motivated"), by writing about your influences.

2. From my academic experience, GOOD teachers really look favorably on work that demonstrates you are digesting the subject matter and shows some internalization of the information.

If you choose not to go that route, I would add Bill Laswell to the choices others have mentioned. He's colorful and hasn't had a tragic ending like Jaco and Jamerson.

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

If you are doing Jamerson and Duck Dunn, you might as well throw in Carol Kaye. She played on many recordings at the same time. In fact, I have seen heated arguments in Bass Player as to which one of the two (Jamerson or Kaye) actually played on some recordings. Kaye has her own web site, so you could check that out.

But are you a metal head? If so, compare Cliff Burton and Jason Oldsted. There should be plenty of material available on that, plus lots of people here can help you.

Or compare and contrast two of rock's reputedly worst bassists...such as Duff McKagan and Alex John Such. Work in why they succeeded even though they are no competition for many far superior rock bassists such as, say, Geezer Butler or Geddy Lee.

Or compare and contrast two of today's top bass technicians, such as Vic Wooten and Stu Hamm or Oteil Burbridge and Michael Manring.

Or mix genres. For example, discuss a top country bassist with a top rock or blues bassist and see what techniqies they need to be tops in their specific genre.

Or contrast Willie Dixon, the blues legend who played all his lines on double bass with a modern blues bassist like Roescoe Beck or Tommy Shannon who play their blues lines on electric bass. How did the change in bass change their approach to blues bass lines?

Or take each of the longest lasting bassists of the Allman Brothers from Berry Oakley to Woody Allen to Oteil Burbridge. Discuss how their styles changed or stayed the same even though the band was the same.

There's just so many different ways you can go. I'd choose your favorite bassists in your favorite styles because then your work will have a flow, sincereness and credibility it won't have if you force yourself to write and research bassists for whom you have no real affinity.

JO

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you do that one, could I get a copy??? :D

12. That sounds like a great idea...only I didn't/don't really have any specific influences...
    Just as a quick recap, I started playing bass because a few friends were throwing a band together and needed a bassist. Then I came here looking to win the Warwick, and ended up posting and asking and learning, as well as picking up a bunch of CDs I'd seen people praise here etc.
    And besides, I COULD pick a couple of my favorite bassists, only it's too hard for me. I love all of the bass lines in all of the songs I listen to, and that in itself is about 20 bassists that I would like to write about, but that's too broad. :(

Actually, those were the first 2 that came to mind to me, but that could be because I had Stanley Clarke Live 1976 - 77 (are those the years? I forgget. :p) in the CD player, and an MD of Jaco's self titled album in the MD player. Also, I came here to see if I could find any other possibilities that sparked my interest. I'm also kinda thinking along the lines of Geddy Lee &...I dunno, Flea? There are so many bassists names running through my head that I want to compare, I can't decide. :oops:

Hmmm...there's another possibility...
    I'm at school right now, using up my free periods here. :p I'll think about it, & hopefully by the time I get home today I'll have narrowed it down to a couple that I'm MOST keen on writing about, and come back for some more advice. :)

Thanks again. :)

13. membranophone

membranophone

Mar 19, 2000
    Madison, WI
    Sheepy, are you in the IB program? My school is one of the few in the state with it. I have a bunch of friends who had to write extended essays also.

14. Yeah, I'm doing the IB. I don't really like my subjects, but I didn't like any of my other choices, either. My school doesn't have enough teachers, and doesn't have ANY teachers for some of the IB subjects, so we can't take some of the courses. :( Oh well.

15. Argh!
    My mind blanked out in rehearsal today, I even forgot how to play one of my favorite songs for a little while!
    So...yeah, this means I haven't quite narrowed it down yet. :oops:

16. Ok, now I've ALMOST decided. I'll either be comparing:
    Jaco & Stanley Clarke
    OR
    Geddy Lee & Flea

I was talking to one of my friends today, and he said that "Geddy Lee & Flea would be harder to compare, since they play different styles & different genres." or something like that. :p

So...what can you guys tell me? Would it be better for me to compare Jaco & Stanley Clarke? Or is Geddy Lee & Flea ok?