1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help for university Project!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JackWhite, Feb 29, 2008.

1. JackWhite

JackWhite

Apr 2, 2007
    Vienna
    ok guys. i really need your help here. today i made the decision what project i would work on for my last university exam. as i really love talkbass and come by here on a daily basis i decided that i would include you helpful guys in my project.

i got 5 weeks for the project and its about boutique basses. i have to make an information chart that shows:

1) producers of boutique basses
    2) their standard-models - 4string,5string, 6string available? Lefty-version available?(+ maybe custom modifications possible? which?)
    3) famous players using this model
    4) what wood is used for these basses? (body + neck mainly)
    5) standard pickups on these basses
    6) standard strings on these basses
    7) => overall tone+sound of these basses
    8) pictures of these basses from you users (this will be quite at the end of the 5 weeks. so please do NOT post your pics right now!)

the main thing here is that i have to find a link between the players/procuders by looking at the sound. e.g. i take vic wooten => fodera bass, emg pickups => extremely bright/clanky sound. who also has it? which fodera user? which sadowsky user?

------
    i have to find a structure here so things must not get too complicated (e.g. bridges and so on will be kept out right now i think.)

it would be greatly appreciated if you could help me make this project come alive. of course you will get to see the endproduct here once it is finished :)

-----

1 more important thing. this has to be on an OBJECTIVE basis. so no "sadowskies are better than laklands STFU !§§$%!§$%" here please.

it also would be great if this one could get sticky for the next few weeks. anybody knows the mod i could pm this request to!?

------

and last but not least. please dont post stuff here unstructured. i will try to be the "mod" of this thread and give you the topics i need to look @ right now.

-------

thanks for your great help in advance and lets hope my project will turn out well :)

please subscribe to this thread so you can help me with any new requests!

2. JackWhite

JackWhite

Apr 2, 2007
    Vienna
    so first of all i think it would be the best to decide on a few producers.

i thought about:

1) fodera
    2) sadowsky
    3) lakland
    4) stambaugh

and some like these. i know lakland and sadowsky are not considered TOO boutique, but i think they fit in the category.

so if you guys could give me advice on a few producers that fit into my category?

i recognize one major problem. e.g. marcus miller plays a fender, but fender is not really recognized as a boutique bass. but i think ill just have to live with it.

3. JackWhite

JackWhite

Apr 2, 2007
    Vienna
    bump

4. Hi Jack, here's a few producer's

Celinder
    Overwater
    Status
    Ken smith
    F Bass
    Sandberg

Sounds like a good project, though if I were you i'd take the availability of these basses into account, as some of these basses are mainly available in the US.

Contact a mod on the getting the post sticky'ed

Ps...i only own mass produced stuff so I cant input any more...sorry, i would if i could!

Mat

5. I wouldnt put Lakland and Sadowsky in there
    if you want to have a more even playing field
    you can add Jerzy Drozd (Yves Carbonne)
    Ritter (Marcus Miller)
    Carl Thompson(Les Claypool)
    Alembic and/or Status (Mark King)
    theres so many more
    google is your friend for the info
    You Tube for the sound and viz

6. I'd only include Sadowsky and Lakland if you're clear about it being the US builds. Those are clearly boutique, whereas the Asian-made ones clearly aren't.

And there's a very clear link between F Bass and Alain Caron. He doesn't show up in convo around here very much, but in the Jazz world he's definitely very well known...

7. JackWhite

JackWhite

Apr 2, 2007
    Vienna
    yeah. i got into alain caron a few months ago. drozd was on my list too.
    anybody knows any other f-bass users? i think i'd need at least two of every brand.

eg:
    fodera - vic + janek gwizdala
    carl thompson - stanley clarke + les claypool
    status - mark king + ?
    lakland - uriah duffy + ?
    f-bass - alain caron
    sadowsky - ?

and so on. i dont know of any "famous" stambaugh player but i wanted to include it because in my opinion they just look and sound marvelous!

i think it would be good two have sadowsky + lakland in it because im thinking of making the price a main category too. but im not sure yet.

thanks for your help so far!

any other imput on brand + famous player is greatly appreciate. we'll soon be heading into round two ;)

8. you can change Status to Alembic with Mark King and Stanley Clarke

or Status Mark King and Tony Levin
    I would add Doug Wimbish but to me I always put him with Spector
    and Tony has played Status but I always pair Levin with EBMM

9. azwhofan

azwhofan Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2007
    Arizona
    Add John Entwistle to the Status list
    Not sure, but is Will Lee still playing Sadowsky's?

10. JackWhite

JackWhite

Apr 2, 2007
    Vienna
    thx for the help so far. i decided NOT to use stanley twice, it will be hard to have a player twice on a chart that is there for showing differences. what ive got so far is:

----
    fodera - vic (dmb)+ janek gwizdala (?)
    carl thompson - stanley clarke + les claypool (primus)
    status - mark king (level 42) + john entwistle (the who)
    lakland - uriah duffy (whitesnake) + ?
    f-bass - alain caron (uzeb)
    sadowsky - ?
    ken smith - hadrien feraud
    ----

please help filling the empty spots so we can progress to round two :) thx a bunch so far!

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say do it in an Excel spreadsheet. Put the various parameters along the top and the basses down the side, and the characteristics of each bass in the interior rows and columns. I've thought about doing this for all my basses. For instance, one parameter at the top would be headstock. In the matrix you could put 5+0, 4+1, 3+2, 2+3, 4+0, 2+2, 3+1, etc. Under fretboard you'd put maple, rosewood, ebony, pau ferro, etc., whatever it is for each bass.

12. RBrownBass

RBrownBass Supporting Member

Aug 22, 2004
    The kid asked for objective.

If the professor happens to be a bassist who knows the difference between measurable, quantifiable, objective criteria and subjective criteria, the student -and his project- will get eaten alive taking your advice.

From the Sadowsky FAQ: If all you need is a basic ash or alder bass, you do not need to purchase a NYC instrument. The Metro Line was created to offer "basic" Sadowsky models at a more affordable price. Any options, including maple tops, hardware other than chrome, premium woods, Ultra-Vintage models and custom configurations need to be ordered as an NYC instrument.

It appears that the man himself doesn't make any distinctions between his NYC line and the Metro line other than what's listed above and the Vintage Tone Control. None of those are related to the quality of the Metro bass, nor would they disqualify it from being a boutique instrument. Sadowsky's instruments -all of them- are either boutique or they are not, unless the OP is willing to use only NYC basses with figured tops and the VTC, which would rule out some (most?) of his NYC output as well as all of the Metro line.

If I were doing this study, I'd probably use only the NYC models myself (I doubt that anyone who is well-known enough to be included on the player's end of this study would be playing a Metro), but if you advise someone to use subjective criteria (you'll have to ask Roger himself what he means by "premium woods") as a starting point, you're doing him a disservice.

That said, the Lakland Skyline series IS a totally different animal from the USA model (lacking neck reinforcement on the four-strings and probably some other features) and would not qualify for the study.

Not a Metro or NYC owner, BTW.

13. JackWhite

JackWhite

Apr 2, 2007
    Vienna
    as i study design (this project is for the subject 'information design') an excel sheet will really not be enough. i have to find a way of designing an information chart that shows "important" stuff on first sight and if the reader gets interested he/she can find out more on deeper look. i will think about the looks of it later, first i have to get my facts down.

thx with the players so far!

-----

i also made the decision that i quite sure will not explain EVERY model of e.g. status. i will only explain the model that the famous player is using. => so the reader can focus on the player and his choice of sound/tone and can then look WHY this guy has that sound and who also prefers it and how the other player could achieve it.

------

btw. im recognizing that i do not have amps/preamps+settings in my chart, but it would make it TOO big. i have to work in a certain area on real paper. so no online thingies here. if there is enough room ill include it. (but i dont think so)
    -------

anybody knows any other sadowsky/lakland/ken smith users?

-----

one important question. if we progress to round 2 (define the famous players sound/tone) do you think i should make a new thread or shall we have it all in this one here? (would be better if it really gets stickie'd.

-----

thanks so far!

14. Depends on what your criteria for 'Boutique' is The term itself is wide open. To some people, 'Boutique' means you pay a one-man shop or small studio to make a bass or guitar for which you decide stuff like woods and options. For others, it has to look like a piece of driftwood wherein every carved line is something new to the world of bass. I'm of the first school of thought.

And if Sadowsky USA ain't a boutique bass, then neither is a Lull, an LEJ, or even really an F-Bass. And since you agreed with me that you'd only include the US-made Sadowskys, I'm unclear where the problem is.

15. I think you should really have Bernard Edwards in there. He had two early Sadowskis. He was also a *very* influential bass player if you look at what was happening around that time and what came after.

Don Was is mostly a producer these days, so I don't know if that counts. Still a fairly big name, though...

You *could* put Tal Wilkenfeld under Sadowsky, but I don't think she's been around long enough to really count here.

16. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    What I didn't say is that I'd use it because people -professional musicians included- tend to spend in accordance with their ability to do so, and in accordance with the image the good offers them.

The problem is, the OP has asked for objective information. I assmue he did so for the purpose of not having his grade lowered due to inaccurate research. The definition of "boutique" you've given in your last post would include Valenti, Grosh, (both of which it probably should) and... Wishbass :D

Jack White, instead of the debate-inspiring term "boutique", I'd use a MSRP floor as my guideline.

17. JackWhite

JackWhite

Apr 2, 2007
    Vienna
    bernard edwards is a great idead if i can find what model he played. but i think that wont be too hard!

i was thinking about tal but im not quite sure yet. i think we'll head into round 2 tomorrow.

thx for the hint with duck dunn, unbelievable i didnt think about that! i even knew he played one :)

----

you guys are helping me very much, thank you!

---

we have to take care that the thread doesnt lose its direction and gets hard to read through for other tb'ers that come by so
    as for my definition for "boutique":

id definitely put valenti and others in the category. so yes, id say its about guys that make a bass with their own hands and obtained some routine over the years.

by the way... MTD anyone?

---
    i think my wishlist for the brands + their players right now would be:

fodera - vic + janek gwizdala (<-- or another guy with well-knowns band)
    status - mark king + john entwistle
    carl thompson - stanley clarke + les claypool
    sadowsky - bernard edwards + jason newstead (<-i can say "yeah, thats the guy that played for metallica)
    lakland - uriah duffy/sting + duck dunn

-----

you have to keep in mind that the poster is for people that have no clue about whats going on at bass so they have to find some names they "know" to get attracted to the poster and start reading the "in-depth-information"

so i think level 42, the who, metallica, chic, dmb and stuff like that is the way to go!

18. RBrownBass

Aug 22, 2004
    Cool. I have just one more observation to make: The basses you've listed are capable of many different sounds (yes, even Vic's EMG-loaded Fodera), and some are available with a variety of pickups and electronics. The sound associated with the given endorser is rarely the only one the bass is capable of creating. I don't know how you'd incorporate that into your poster, but it's something to think about.

Good luck!

19. JackWhite

JackWhite

Apr 2, 2007
    Vienna
    yeah. this will be the difficult thing. i think i have to leave this to my professor. i hope he lets me just take the models of the producer + the sound "that famous guy" is creating with it and then compare those. if not, if got a serious thing to think about ;)

20. Stu Hamm used Kubickis for years until he hooked up with Fender. Vail Johnson uses 'em.