Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help from a pro! - Bridge mounting screw has broken off

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by soulgroovn, Dec 15, 2002.

1. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    Hi,

I was placing a replacement bridge on my fender Jazz V and the top of one of the mounting screws has broken off. I now have about 1/8" of the broken screw sticking out and I'm wondering what the easiest way to extract this is.

Thanks,

Mike

2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    Can you get a pair of vise grips to clamp down on the exposed screw?

3. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    I was thinking of doing this last night and I may have just enough room to grab it and twist it off. I just hope that it isn't lodged in there too tight. I'll go and get a pair at home depot tonight and I'll post my results.

4. soulgroovn

soulgroovn

Oct 25, 2002
    New Haven CT
    Hi again,

Vise grips didn't work but I was able to grind the tip flush with the wood and move the bridge slightly forward without harming the intonation settings. It has the body of the old screw in it under the new bridge but it looks perfect cosmetically.

5. I had the same problem once ...
    Using a Dremel tool with a little cutting disc I just cut a new groove in the top of the broken screw and unscrewed it. (just make sure that the screwdriver fits snugly into the groove, doesn't have to be perfect)
    Two grooves in a cross shape and using a phillips-head screwdriver works even better. (but obviously more difficult to cut precisely)
    A pair of vise grips usually doesn't work, unless you file two opposite sides of the screw flat first, so you get more grip.

I wish I saw this thread earlier, so I could post it before it was too late ...