Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need help from Bartolini Aficionados.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Gallient Knight, Oct 14, 2004.

1. I have a Washburn XB920 bass with Bart pick ups and preamp. The preamp model is NTCT. Bartolinis website doesn't have a lot of data on that preamp. My specific preamp has 4 dip switches that seem to make changes to the mids. But I would love to know what the switches are supposed to be designed to do.

I faxed Bartolini a few days ago, but I have heard they can take a while to get back to people. (I guess they are to busy making some of the worlds greatest pickups)

If anyone here has any info I would appreciate it

Thanks

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Speaking without any actual knowledge of the unit in question, I'd have to speculate that the DIP switches change what frequency the mids knob boosts and cuts at. The Washburn 900 series basses have been around for over a decade now so if yours is used it might be an older preamp which is no longer made.

3. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've had 4 TCT preamps. Seems the Bart site distinguished between the NTCT and TCT. I don't know what difference there may be but they're bound to be close. I never had a dip switch setup on any of my TCT's. The EMG BTC and BQC as well as the active SD J pups have dips and both worked the same in terms of them being simple on/off control switchs. I'm guessing what you have works very similar to the EMG dips that vary the knee frequency for trebles for EMG, giving 4 different options with 2 dips. The TCT was a 3 band so they vary well may function in the mid range and in deed it would make more sense.

The only thing that seems contradictory is that I would be suprised if it were setup to give more than 4 frequency options for a given band - so you may have more than one band varied by those 4 dips. Your ear and the wiring (obvioulsy only mids if only the mid unit runs to the dips) will tell you if so.

But I have never seen dips with any Bart so it may have been a non-Bart add on. It may also have been an add on that functions as a mid unit (if there's no seperate mid unit - ie. Bart MCT 250). The TCT could also be wired as a 2 band by simply leaving a mid unit out. Sounds interesting though.

4. Thats the challange. The Dip switches are part of the little black preamp box with the Bart sticker on it. So I have to assume its original equipment for Bart.

I can't trace the wiring because the switches are in that box and can be traced to their respective wires.

If it helps anyone the preamp is 3 band with an Non-sweepable mid control a pickup pan pot and 1 volume knob.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

sounds original and probably mid dips. You might try a general google search that would pickup something posted on the bottom line or wherever. Or give Bart a call.

I think you probably have all the info you need though. Since the dips are in the control bay, it's nothing that's given to quick adjustment like a mid switch. Try some variations of the dips to music you play, pick the one you want, and button it up. Knowing the exact frequencies isn't going to change anything in terms of applicaton. That was one of the cool things about the SD pups - you could switch those dips right off the bass cuase they were built into the face of the pups.

Reading the EMG and SD info on their sites regarding their dips I think woul be useful though.

I'd bet the other details are the same as the TCT and there's two pages of details on it on the Bart site - and lots of diagrams.

6. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Here's what my XB920 says on the back of the control plate. (I have the dips as well....):

"Switch #1 = 330hz
    Switch #2 = 480hz
    Switch #3 = 650hz
    Switches 1 & 2 = 270hz
    Switches 1 & 3 = 300hz
    Switches 2 & 3 = 390hz
    Switches 1, 2, & 3 = 250hz
    Switch #4 is a 6khz shelf

All switches are 10db boost & 400 hz passive cut."
    -WASHBURN

I just got mine off of Ebay - it was delivered today, and still haven't figured out what config I like, or all that the switches entail to my ear.

7. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it. Enjoy that new bass. The thing I love most about that line of basses is how light they are, and I can play that neck for hours without getting tired.