1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Need Help From (Criminal Prefferably) Lawyer for English Project

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by steve21, Apr 29, 2006.

1. steve21

steve21 Banned

I have to do an essay on a career for English, I'd like to be a criminal lawyer, and I need to interview someone of who is in this profession. I figured with all the people on TB, there should be some lawyers, even criminal ones. But anybody who is a lawyer, if you could take a minute to answer these questions, I'd really appreciate it.

Please only lawyers, not if you're still in school for it.

1) Where did you go to school to train for your job?

2) Did you have to work hard or travel far to find work at this job?

3) Do you find your career gives you lots of time for yourself to pursue other things in life, or do you find it takes the majority of your time.

4) Do you find your job to ever be dull, or are you always doing somethign?

5) At work, do you find you can manage your time by yourself or is it decided for you?

6) Do you find your work requires you to travel?

7) Do you find your work gives you much time for preparation or are you alwasy thrown in the middle of somethign.

8) Are there any parts of your job you wish you had prepared better for?

9) Do you find your pay accurately reflects the amount of work you do?

10) Do you think there is anything else I left out that would be useful in becomming a criminal lawyer?

Again, thanks guys!

Take care,
    Steve

2. steve21

steve21 Banned

I hate to bump this but it's important I get this section of my essay done tomorrow.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    It could be argued that ALL lawyers are criminal. :)
    (Sorry Tom!)

4. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    Hey, Steve21:

I am a criminal defense lawyer in Texas (when I'm not playing bass). Here are some answers to your questions, based on my 16 years of experience in criminal law.

University of Texas School of Law, after getting a bechelor's degree from UT.

I travel to the counties that surround my home county. As for working hard, every case is different: some take a lot of work, others are fairly simple.

I make time to do other things, especially music. Some of my colleagues seem to work 24/7. Not me, except when I'm in the middle of a jury trial.

My practice is kinda like long stretches of relative tranquility (boredom?) punctuated by short periods of feverish activity.

Half and half: I set my own office hours, but court dates are set by each court in which I practice. Since I travel to several counties, and there are several courts in each county, time management can be a hassle.

See previous answer.

Most of the time I have plenty of time to prepare.

Every time I try a case in front of a jury, at the end, I always feel there are things I could have done better, or at least differently. I don't think it's a question of preparation, but more a question of making decisions among various issues that I had previously prepared, and doing this in the "heat of battle," so to speak.

No, but that is mainly because I do a lot of work by appointment of the courts (representing people who cannot afford to hire a lawyer). Since the money comes from taxes, and taxpayers don't give a darn about criminal defendants, the pay runs about 1/10 of what I would charge someone if they were to hire me to do the same case. However, I continue to accept court appointments by choice: I can get off the list any time I want.

Nope. I think you've asked some great questions. I hope these answers help you with your project.

~John

5. steve21

steve21 Banned

Thanks a ton John, that was great!

Just one quick follow up (for my own question), are the colleagues of yours colleagues that work 24/7 the ones who don't take appointments of the courts?

6. jrduer

jrduer

Jun 27, 2005
    Georgetown, TX
    You're welcome.

Most of my colleagues take appointments. My county doesn't have a Public Defender's Office, so if none of us voluntarily accepted appointments, they would be forced upon us one way or another. I actually enjoy most court-appointed cases. Some of my most interesting cases -- and all of my murder cases -- have been by appointment of a court.

~John