1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help from Fender experts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jim11895, May 21, 2011.

1. Jim11895

Jim11895

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    Greetings TB'ers,

I have a 2003 Fender Jazz bass, supposedly made in USA. The headstock has the correct logo, and under the tuner gears there is a serial number that starts Z3.......

So I am reasonably sure the neck is a USA neck, but the neckplate (or whatever it's called) is completely blank - it does not have the embossed F on it. It also has a little "CE" sticker on it, which is I think, the European version of UL, or something like that. Is it possible that I have a USA neck on a MIM or MIJ body?

Any help from you Fender experts out there is appreciated.

2. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    What is or is not on the neck plate is not indicative of what your body may or may not be. The neck pocket and body routing under the pickguard are much more relevant in determining country of origin.

3. Jim11895

Jim11895

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    Thanks. What should I look for when I remove the pickguard and/or the neck?

4. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    The best thing you could do would be to take some pics and post them here.

5. Jim11895

Jim11895

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    Will do, if I can figure out how to upload the pics !!!

6. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    E-mail them to me, driefonteinen@gmail.com, and I will post them for you.

7. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    In the neck pocket you should find a ink stamp with the date of production and/or a series of numbers or letters depicting the country of origin.

8. fish552

fish552

Aug 1, 2010
    Oregon
    Jim, I too have a '03 Fender Jazz (mine is a Highway One) and the neck plate is blank.

9. Jim11895

Jim11895

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    OK. Took the neck off. Both neck and body are dated 2003, but the date in the neck pocket is barely legible, and I can't make out any letters except what looks like a "P" to the far left of the date. At least the neck and body dates match, a good sign I hope?

10. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    Is the body string through?

11. Jim11895

Jim11895

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    No. And on closer inspection, it is not a "P" that I see to the left. If made in USA would it say Corona to the left of the date? There is a lot of overspray from the painting, and it's hard to make out what it says. I just could barely make out the last digit on the date.

12. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    Post some pics of the bass. From your description above, I'd say it's a highway one jazz.
    How to post the pics? it's not that hard. :)
    HelpViaVideo.com

13. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Does it have a Badass bridge?

14. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    They didn't have badass bridges back in 2003.

15. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Didn't know that. I stand corrected.

16. Jim11895

Jim11895

Dec 10, 2009
    Atlanta
    I guess it could be. I've always wondered though, what's the difference between the Highway One and American Standard? Both are made in USA from what I have read. But there must be some difference, since the Highway One basses are lesss expensive. And is there any quick way to tell the difference?

17. bassphase

bassphase Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2004
    San Francico Bay Area
    Yes they did. I had one in the early 80's. It was designed in the 70's

bob

18. Aspidites

Aspidites

Oct 20, 2009
    Berkeley CA
    He was referring to the use of Badass bridges on Highway 1 basses stock from the factory.

19. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    I believe the highway one basses are made in USA and assembled in Mexico. That's why Fender can sell them for less.

20. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Where is the trussrod adjustment?
    At the headstock or at the body?