1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need help from Fender USA Vintage RI experts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by michele, Sep 30, 2010.

1. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    Hi guys,
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a US Vintage Reissue '62 P bass.
    I want to hear the opinions of all you experts in the American Vintage reissue serie expecially on the neck.
    The neck tint on this bass seems to me clearer than what I normally see on other US Vintage RI basses.
    Does it seems normal to you? Do you think it depends on the lights on the pics?
    Here they are:

http://www.metrousedguitar.com/images/cl/V153251/index.htm

Thanks everybody.

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    I think it's the lighting.

3. I'd say its the lighting. And I'd also say the sound effects on that website are way stupid.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    looks fine to me. as far as the neck tinting, they can vary ALOT. i actually prefer less amber tint since it's going to darken with age anyway, and they start to look funky (fake) when they turn dark orange.

5. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    At the end I pulled the trigger on it! It should be here tomorrow!
    I'm planning to change the tort pickguard to a white (well, not plain white..) one but I can't decide between mint and parchment.
    Of course the desired effect is that of a nice aged celluloid white guard. Which one is the best for this, mint green or parchment?

6. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, either guard would look great on it. if it helps, for reference, i put a new mint one on this jazz bass which looks very 'aged' celluloid:

ENJBass-3-2.jpg

and a parchment one on this jazz bass, which looks nice too (parchment looks a bit whiter):

blkmaplejbass-02.jpg

7. Congrats on your AV RI purchase! You won't regret it.

Oh John, you and your white pickguards...

8. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    John,
    Thanks for the pics. Your opinion on the neck of the bass convinced me to' pull the trigger on this one!

9. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Washington, Utah
    John K Custom Basses
    you're most welcome. ;)
    it should be a beauty. congrats!

those aren't white, they're mint and parchment :D.

10. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    The bass just came in. I'm very impressed ... I can hardly put it down. What amazes me the most is the neck ... fits like a glove and plays effortlessy. I'll write more later and post pics...

11. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Congrats! I love the black-rosewood-tort look. I say; keep the tort!

12. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Nice!
    Reminds me of a '64 P on Elderly's site:

[​IMG]

13. michele

michele

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    The neck is very nice. I like it more than the neck on my Sadowsky. It's slimmer: I took some measurements regarding neck thickness, respectively at 1st, 7th and 12th fret ... here's what I found:
    Sadowsky: 0,85" 0,95" 0,96"
    Fender: 0,82" 0,87" 0,92"

I also find the 7,25" radius on the Fender more comfortable than the 9" on the Sadowsky...

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021