Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Need Help From OS X Users

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WillPlay4Food, Jul 28, 2004.

1. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I've built my first program that displays scale tones based on the selected starting note and selected mode. I need someone to try this program out on their computer so I can make sure it'll work on computers other than mine. It's a very small (<100K) program which I'll attach here.

If other users would download and report your success/failure running the program I would greatly appreciate it.

Attachment below:

[edit]
    I've removed the attachment, but you can get the program here in .dmg format. (.dmg formats are not allowed to be attached, hence the weblink.)

[edit2] 17-AUG-2004 Clarified thread title

2. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I just downloaded and told it to open. Works like a charm on my Powerbook running Panther. Good job

tk

3. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    So you are able to see the scales and everything? Excellent!

Now I just have to make a web page and offer it to the world (for free of course).

4. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    Yes it opened in Apple works. Could do all it would. Great job. I did notice you have not taken credit for it in about Music_Scale Program. You should give yourself some credit there of course.

Also if I close the Window I have to quit Appleworks and then reopen to view it again. All in all I give it an A+ and want to say Thanks for the free help with scales.

tk

5. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    It opened in Appleworks? It's supposed to be a standalone program, like Calculator or Safari. Looks like I still have some work to do. :(

This is my first program, and is essentially a 0.1 release so most of the menus do nothing yet.

6. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    The it creates a folder that when opened contains a file Musical_Scale_Program.app This is associated with Appleworks on my machine. As that is the default reader of such extensions on my mac.

It does work and is a good program.

tk

7. tkarter

tkarter

Jan 1, 2003
    kansas
    I renamed the thing taking the extension off and it will open an terminal window and execute the script. Either way it works and displays your program.

Let me know if there is any other way I can help.

tk

8. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    tkarter,

I really appreciate your help. What I needed to know was will it work on someone else's Mac. Sounds to me like it does.

If anyone else is interested, I've put up a page here, or you can grab the attachment in my first post. Any updates or new programs will go up on my page.

[edit]
    I've removed the attachment in my first post so you will have to use the link above or in the first post (same link) to get the program. I had to do this since I cannot attach .dmg files to my posts here.

9. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Works for me in Piz-anther. Very cool!

:cool:

10. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    secretdonkey,

Did the program open as a standalone program for you? This seems to be my hurdle at the moment, as the above poster said it opened in Appleworks, and another tester said it opened in Applescript.

The XCode documents leave much to be desired in regards to compiling programs for distribution.

Thank you for your help and feel free to pass my site link on to anyone that can use this program.

[edit]
    This was coded in Panther, but should work for anyone using 10.2 or greater.

11. works great for me. Opens as a stand alone program. Nice work.

12. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Opened as a standalone. :cool:

13. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    BTW, running 10.2.8 at home and it behaves identically on that machine! :hyper:

14. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    secretdonkey & SheepHerder7898,

Thanks for your replies. :)

I'm going to add chord tones in my next update, clean up the menus and use a different program icon as well.

Stay tuned!

15. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    worked fine for me using an imac running 10.2.8 ...

great job, the only enchancements for future versions might be a "fingering legend" (although this is rather subjective, i suppose) ... and standard notation on the staff.

16. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    works fine on 10.2.8 for me.

17. WillPlay4Food

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Just a quick bump to let people know I've updated this program. The program now displays tones for the 7 chords in each scale in a slide-out drawer.

You can see a screenshot & download the program here.

Question for the mods: Is it OK to bump this thread when I release program updates?