1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Need Help: Gen4 Noiseless bridge pickup not working in passive mode... [UPDATE: Problem Solved!]

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Cutter8, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    7/18/19 UPDATE: The problem was just a cold solder joint at the ground lug assembly. Easily fixed and everything works great! Thanks to all, particularly Winston Wolf, who spent a lot of time giving me troubleshooting advice via PM!

I just got this new Fender 2016 American Elite Precision Bass Complete Loaded Pickguard Assembly that came from Stratosphere.

BF8EBD76-665B-4081-B737-DFC5481DF268.jpeg

When it was in transit, the red wire running from the solderless plug for the Gen4 Noiseless bridge pickup broke off from where it was soldered to the pickup in the lower left corner, as shown in this pic:

***EDIT: I want to clarify, the problem did not have anything to do with Stratosphere. The assembly was shipped again after being purchased from Stratosphere, and the wire broke off during shipping. I should have been more clear in the first place.

74AF0D43-515E-4AA9-BDE2-F8411122D8A3.jpeg

I re-soldered it and installed the assembly. However, while both the split coil P-bass middle pickup and the Noiseless bridge pickup are working in active mode, only the middle pickup is working when I use the passive switch. The Gen4 Noiseless is silent when the toggle switch is set to passive.

There’s one more thing I should point out, although I don’t know if it’s relevant to the problem I’m having. There is one thing about how the assembly came wired that does not exactly match the Fender wiring diagram. Per the diagram, there was a short length of black wire coming from the washer/lug of the volume pot that I soldered to the ground lug as instructed. But, where the diagram shows another longer length of black wire should run from the ground lug to the bridge, on this assembly, that wire came also soldered to the washer/lug of the volume pot. If you look at the pic below, the wire labeled “BLACK WIRE FROM BRIDGE” that the diagram shows connecting to the ground lug is actually connected where I’m pointing with the toothpick.

1FA7809C-4EFC-4B70-BE73-FA76C70AB4B7.jpeg

I feel like I’m not being very clear, but I’m not sure how else to explain, so I hope that isn’t too hard to follow

I’ve done a quite a few builds and repairs/mods, and I can solder, follow directions, etc., just fine, but I do not have any real understanding of electronics. In fact, I’m certain that many of you will forget more about bass electronics before you go to bed tonight than I will ever learn. So, I’m appealing to the TB collective for guidance. As always, any advice y’all may have to offer would be a huge help and will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2019
  2. Stratosphere is infamous for buying Fender instruments and parting them out for sale.
    Not sure if that includes a segment in the procedure where they insure everything is working.

I also understand those Fender electronics are rather monolithic in nature, and next to impossible to do much with, unless you have experience working on PCBs.
    Wait for @RobbieK to show up, from Oz, he'll probably have some idea.

Cutter8 likes this.
  3. Cutter8

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    Just to clarify, the problem did not have anything to do with Stratosphere. The assembly was shipped again after being purchased from Stratosphere, and the wire broke off during shipping.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  4. Yes, but was it functioning correctly when it shipped out from Stratosphere?
    We don't know for certain, unless a previous handler/owner checked it.

5. Cutter8

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    True, but I feel certain I just screwed something up when I re-soldered the wire to the pickup or at some other step of the install. And, FWIW, there’s years of evidence backing up that opinion ;)