Need help getting a 2x10 cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jure the second, Nov 5, 2003.

1. This is my situation.

I play nice basses on a nice rig (alembic and fender on Hughes and Kettner, Demeter...). The main problem is that, this amplification is really difficult to transport. So my thinking is: Let's save for a high wattage capable 2x10 to use for a small gig, but with my 400W/8ohm head. The options would be Epifani, Aguilar, Glockenklang... I live in Europe, but I would rather wait and save for a few months more to get the real stuff, because I do not have much gigs at the moment (I am not in a hurry).
    I could also use both cabinets when I wanted to...

Could anyone comment my thinking? Any suggestions of what should I test?

Thank you.

2. zoran

May 10, 2002
    why not eden 210xlt? Great beast, and I think you have dealer in... USS voyager:D
  3. As I asked for their price list, they weren't able to send it. Now should I trust them getting me a cca 1000$ cabinet?? I probably wouldn't even have a chance to test it properly.

Eden is truly one of the serious options and I intend to make some more exploring but as I said, I wasn't impressed sofar.

4. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have a D210MBX. It's the tilt back version. I love the thing. It's great for the church gig, and even small venue stuff. It is good for pairing with my 115, and for playing at my friends houses, or in the studio. If you like tiltable cabs, that's the way to go. I think I might build a stand for it so it has more stability as a straight cabinet. The footprint isn't big enough. But if you need a good 210, I can speak for the edens, they are great.
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ultra Light Epifani T-210, or better yet, a T-112 with a T-110 (my preferred small rig setup).

6. Yes. The light epifani came to my mind too. I haven't had any opportunity to try it so I do not have the comment about it.
    It would have to be one cab, because I already have an 8 ohm 4x10 and I wish to add this one.

7. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    What kind of 4x10 will you be using? And are you looking for something to complement (add something different to) the sound of the 10's, or remain consistent with them? Either way, you really can't go wrong with a T-210UL. However, I really like to mix the sound of 10's with 12's.

If you decide to go Eden, I would listen to both the T-210XLT and the T-210XST. I greatly prefer the XST, myself, with it's wider frequency response and less coloration. However, the XLT line pretty much defines the "Eden sound", and a lot of fellows seem to like the boosted low mids.

8. The cabinet is Hughes and Kettner BC410 (600W/8ohm). I would pretty much like to stay in the 10' world. Wasn't really impressed with (1x12, 1x15, 2x15...).

9. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The two best 2x10's I have heard are the Epifani T-210UL and the Eden T-210XST. Either would do you well, though the Epi will be much lighter.

10. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Consider the Bergantino 210. Ive never tried Epifani but the Berg is the best sounding speaker Ive ever heard.
  11. I do not think Bergantino is available in Europe. Is the price in US comparable to i.e. Epifani, Aguilar...?

I could get cheaper EBS, Glock...

12. Jon. The SM400 and H&K BB600 are quite similar IMO. Have you tried any other 2x10 with your head? Why was the epi your choice? Does it have the speakon input?

13. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i have an older epi so no its has no speakons

i have used peavey, swr, eden, aguilar and epifani 2x10's

you see my choice... however know that they like ALOT of power
  14. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I love my Epi 410, although it's heavy as hell. It seems to be a consensus that the UL line doesn't feature the flat line frequency response that the standard line does, but even with some degradation in sound quality, the Epi's a great cab. I'd definitely consider it, although I've not had the pleasure of trying any Glockenklang cabs.
  15. Ditto!!:D
  16. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    EBS has new line of speakers NEO, lightweight, and they come in 112 & 110 configurations and are 8Ohm, and USS Voyager(LOL) has EBS dealer and his prices are probably cheapest in Europe.
    And I think your H&K goes to 4Ohm so two of these cabs should fit almost all situations.

Depends what you are looking for, but EBS has 210 cab it's 400W @ 4Ohm, I own one and I'm very pleased with it. It isn't designed to be standalone cab like Eden's but it does it's job extremly well. The high-end brands are probably better as a standalone cabs, but for 525€(NEW) I paid EBS it is better than excellent.
  17. vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    I vote Epifani 210 - they are deep, punchy, handle a ton of power, and project really well!

Have you seen the new Epifani wedge?
  18. My cab should have the stand-alone function. I also heard that EBS 2x10 isn't so persuasive whaen used alone.

Thank you for so quick replies.

I've checked: The BB600 goes down even to 2ohms, so no limits here.

19. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Well, I play jazz so it's more than enough for my needs, but I agree to the persuasive part, especially in a loud band. As I said I think EBS designed 210 to be used in combination with their other cabinets.

Have you considered ordering cabs from USA, I believe that, even with all shipping costs and taxes paid, some cabs should be cheaper than bought retail in Europe, e.g. Eden 210XLT: usual European price is cca 1000€ - even with all shipping expences USA price should be under 1000€ - especially with current dollar/euro exchange rates.